cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frankne
Veteran Contributor

Just silly

There going to resurvey the acres I hear ,sometime in July. Am I wrong, but i thought everyone had to certify by June 30th so why can't someone push a button in usda July 2nd and print out the real numbers.

To the lurker Jon z  I drink colorado coolaid . fwiw I got out a little to early.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Just silly

Frank Frank Frank, how in tarnation is the USDA suposed to manipulate the markets if you take tools like that away from them?  Smiley Happy   BTW we`re gonna have to live with these acre numbers until October, they bought themselves about 3 months `til TSHTF.   DJCountryboy on the other site has a very good theory, Obama released the oil reserve and Bernake gave a speech "don`t worry relief is on the way!" so of course USDA monkeys around with the report.  See, this sort of funny business does nasty things to the charts, if you`re a chart believer, that just might be the spark they need to move things where "they" want.  

0 Kudos

Some stone-age people believe there are spirits in rocks, that volcanoes are gods, that you can dream up your future.

We're not stone-age people.  Most people who post on here are smart.  But, we all want to have an explanation, especially for things that seem incomprehensible, so we start dreaming up reasons, even if they don't make sense.  The conspiracy theory is one that makes so sense at all to any rationale person but it's easy to throw out and comforting if one can't come up with any other rationale.

I say again - the government is too stupid to fake these reports for all these years.  Someone would have blabbed.  Have you ever known anyone who could keep their mouth shut that long about something with so much money around it?  Even if it did work, over this period of time both parties would have done it and the one out of power would spill the beans on the one in power.

No, the government might be stupid, might be incompetent, might be ignorant, but the idea that there is some master mind behind USDA reports just doesn't pass the smell test. 

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Well Jim, the stakes are higher today than ever. Outside of a few farmers, landlords and the local Chevy dealer, not many were to enthused about $8 corn.  Politicians  think the country would be better with $4 corn, bouncing just above or below the farmer`s C.O.P.  Think about it when we were selling $1.40 corn the city folk never had it so good, 30% return on stock market, flipping houses.  There was no need for an administration to cook the books, we run a 2 billion bushel surplus every yr.   I just watched USFR, Bill Beiderman and Andy Shissler couldn`t contain their laughter at the USDA numbers  `never before has USDA and private outfits been so far a part`..`need revisions`.. `the industry knows what`s going on in the country doesn`t jive with USDA`..`10 counties reported the leavies broke flooding 100,000 acres..well there`s 1 million/a on the bench right there`.  I don`t think it`s some huge conspiracy, it`s a matter of knowing for example which ethanol plant to survey, you survey the one you heard through the grapevine has full bins and bypass the empty ones.  As Capt Picard on Star Trek used to say "Make it so!".  Does anyone no why Obama opened up the oil reserve with oil in the low $90`s, but did nothing when it was $115?  Just a day and 1/2 supply. My thought is they are pulling out all the stops to control the inflation they say we don`t have. 

0 Kudos
oncearound
Veteran Contributor

i watched that also, and you could tell the fella Andy really wanted to blast the USDA nonsense but held his tongue. 

John Block made the following statement in early 1981, and it has more merit in today's world now that ever in history and will continue to in the near future! 

"Secretary of Agriculture indicated that food can be used for geo-political purposes. confirmation hearings on January 5, John R. Block said: I believe food is now the great weapon we have for keeping peace in the world. It will continue to be so for the next 20 years, as other countries become more dependent on American farm exports and become reluctant to upset us ." from Heritage.org

Both political parties have different Ag policies, visions for the USDA and the newly confirmed USDA Sec of AG implements his parties on their arrival. it takes months to a year or so to bring the branch up to speed of the "new" outlines. 

To say whatever Admin is in power does not use the USDA to their political advantage in domestic & foreign policy is most ignorant. each branch of government is used to whatever extent deemed needed by those in power at any given time. 

only top officials are privy to complete report compilations. so the number of those whom control the actual final report numbers are few. like much of political life inside the beltway, the righthand doesn't know what the lefthand is doing on purpose.

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

I believe your case is weak to nonexistent. The multiplications of sorrowful conspiracies on this forum are multiplying ad nauseum. Little factual basis. Just gobs of ideological need on the part of some. Getting tiresome. All 'class warfare' and ego. Trying to understand is more efficient than an unending blame game.

Ag policy is NOT .... repeat .... NOT the result of different party ideologies. For a fact, the southern leadership and others - regardless of 'ideology' - have passed recent farm bills. The opposition along with whatever administration was in power determined the farm program.  It was definitely NOT along party line. Never has been - never will be. Stating that it is and has been is evidence of party iddeolgy rather than passing along facts.

John Block's statements were also during a time when we DID use food as a weapon and it was a disaster. The law now specifically states that we do not use food as a weapon as an extention of foreign policy. Carter's embargo was intended to be a cold war blow against the Soviet Union when it invaded Afghanistan, and regardless that it was largely accepted as a necessary and logical tactice by virtually everyone (though farmer's were disappointed), he was later blamed for the results - though we had no other  hold on Russia at the time and our allies were less than loyal to the idea. India used the 'food as weapon' against Pakistan by provoking them to set off nuclear tests after a surprise move of setting off 5 of their own - knowing that there was specific legislation to force an immediate food and banking embargo against Pakistan due to a Dakota Senator's pet legislation - that crashed prices here - in order to cripple their economy.

In short - food is no longer a weapon we use.

Another issue is that I don't believe most Congressman care that much about manipulating ag prices - or administration leaders either. They have MUCH bigger fish to fry. Food is cheap here, will continue to be and cannot be controlled so easily. Don't think big Agribiz wouldn't notice and object ??

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Palouser, look at all the just down right lies about ethanol that we have to fight every day.  The Cattlemen, egg producers and just plain everyone who hates the fact that the farmer is finally profitable and have nothing against playing fast and loose with the facts.  They all have lobby groups that have a ring in the politican`s nose.  I`m not blaming one party over another, just saying a politican`s paramount mission is to be relected. This country has alot of problems right now and tweeking numbers to maybe buy a little time is to be expected. To go back to Frank`s thesis of `why not wait a few extra days then get the dyed in the wool numbers from the FSA offices?` is a valid question.  At any rate that 92.3 mil acre number has to have a giant asterisk by it with the lateness of some of the planting.  Hopefully that will be reflected when the yield guesses start.  

0 Kudos
frankne
Veteran Contributor

Jim ,I have no idea if the gov.  changes numbers.My point is that they have all the  numbers in house by July 1st.Why not use them?Theres been years when they change acres in September.

0 Kudos

USDA needs different reports

Frank,

I think all of us would agree that we'd like to see a USDA  report that was transparent and auditable.  We'd like to see numbers we could understand.  It might be good if USDA made a bigger deal out of explaining their methodology, including where errors are possible.

Maybe the report should include an LSA, like corn yield trials do.  In other words, 92,000,000 acres planted plus or minus so many acres or such and such a percentage.

Maybe we ought to sic the EWG on them.  They seem to be able to get any kind of number they want out of the government.  

One thing I believe, the USDA needs to do a much better job of reporting.  There is no benefit to having any report be so far off estimates that it breaks the market.  What we need is maybe more frequent reports with more transparency.so the estimates and the actual reports never get that far apart.

We'[re not helped because even Vilsack is guilty of saying that we can plant a gazillion acres overnight.  I've seen two university studies this year that say we don't plant any faster than we used to.  Yes, a man with a 16 row planter can cover a lot of ground, but what is forgotten is he is replacing four men with four row planters.  

Well, the day will come when the government will have a circuit on your GPS and will know everything you do before you do it.

As I see it, we have several big challenges:  Here are just a few.

1.  Do a better job of understanding what the USDA is doing

2.  Do a better job of understanding how the USDA is gathering data

3.  Recognize that what we see on the ground may be accurate and the USDA may (have been) accurate but they can be out of time and we have to factor that into our marketing. 

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

I contend you fight lies with facts, not charging conspiracy theories just because.

Like it or not the USDA has process and protocols. They don't fit neatly with some circumstances, and maybe now is one of those times when there are a lot of questions. But, to advocate they just change the methodology at a moments notice in order to make up for some  possible issues and questions leads directly to a lack of confidence that gets people all fired up in the first place.

There are questions. They will be more clear later. But the idea that USDA has to come out with figures to our satisfaction (or belief) by the end of June is both asking too much and then setting the stage for those who want to plug in a conspiracy. Plugging in conspiracy at this stage is simply irresponsible. Trying to paper over 'unknowns' with conspiracies is a sure sign that whoever is pushing them is nopt to be taken too seriously w/o a pile of factual information - which is usually exactly what is never offered by them. A 'fact' is just a jumping off point for sheer fanciful speculation.

0 Kudos