Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

Just some thoughts on soybeans

1) Huge soybean plantings in SA.

2) Possible record bushels out of SA if weather cooperates

3) Dry spell during pod fill could limit yeilds

It just sounds like SA could be putting way too many "eggs" in one basket, so to speak.

As a rule, we stick to an even rotation around here to limit risks.

Less SA corn acres should keep our corn exports good.

What are everyones thoughts.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: Just some thoughts on soybeans

Not sure if they plant beans after beans. We did some this year because of the wet spring. They didn't yield very well. Maybe it works in other places though. But as rule we like to rotate too.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Smart Ag, I think when you said you stick to an even rotation you on the right track. True we might leave a little revenue on the table at times, but if we are dealt with a surprise in one or the other commodity (positive or negative) we are positioned to limit risk. IMO, this will net the largest return over the long haul.

FWIW, I have went back to our traditional rotation we've been using for nearly 50 years. Right or wrong, it makes it easier to sleep at night.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

I think I would rather take pp on my acres then to plant beans two years in a row.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Looking back, we should have taken pp too. I guess we were too proud.......
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

What would be the difference in losing revenue on poor yeilds due to soys after soys or corn after corn or losing revenue on poorer market outlook? We always seem to come out better when we stick to a good crop rotation.

Last year seemed like guys were chasing the corn bulls tail only to get dumped on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I will NEVER take a PP claim when I can prevent it. If it is out of my control then that is a different story. I'm not in the business of walking to the mailbox, but I am in the crop production business.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Kind of helps to have two good paying jobs in the family.

I've done it both ways and PP is not the worst thing in the world.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Why does anyone think they will have to take PP this coming year. Very unlikely. Very unlikely. An early spring is more likely.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I know of two airport properties that are rented by farmers. The airport will only alow "low growing crops". The last guy to farm it had beans on it for at least six years and when I work for the coop back in the 90s it was beans for at least a few years. It always had a good looking yield. Not sure how they delt with insect and disease.
0 Kudos