cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Kind of quiet on here

My guess is that a lot  of corn and beans are going in the ground.  Finished planting my corn yesterday, second time-filling in some ponds.  No record crop here in the heartland.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Kind of quiet on here

Wind, what happened since April 18th?  The way it sounded you guys were going great guns at that time.  I go down to the Ames/Boone area occasionally and they seem to be a garden spot.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Wind, I'm not sure where you have been, but it's been "kind of quiet" on here for several months.

BTW, it's June 9th. Just how good do you think crops going in now are gonna be?  Many farmers around here have been done with planting before they even got started. Will they be considered 0% planted or 100% planted?  Guys who have been able to be in the fields in my area the last two days were in them 2-3 days too soon.......the results are going to be disappointing.   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Quiet begats more quietness.  Trouble is someone could have a question on their 1770 planter downpressure and it wouldn`t get answered on this site until they combining and have a question about sieve adjustment on their 9760 combine...which will be answered the next year when they have a question about their Top Air sprayer.  The so-called other site has a ton of answers within a hour.  And that seems where many have migrated.

The problem with the other site is they have too many "experts" like one guy made the mistake of posting a picture of his nice looking pigs...and lo & behold someone spots one with a belly bump and then another expert has to jump in "how many of your pigs are ruptured????" ...which has not a damned thing to do with the poor guy`s question or comment.  So, sometimes there`s too many chefs in the kitchen.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Gotta admit BA, it does make for an interesting read😀

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yes, near perfect planting conditions then over 10 inches of rain and lots of cool cloudy weather.  Crops  looking a little better now, less streaking  in the corn on corn.  Beans are so short.  I still say the "bloom is off the roses" even for the sweet spots.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Crops going in now will yield less without a doubt.  The weather ahead is paramount and it looks to me on the cool side, too cool.  My speculation is a 13 billon corn crop.  Beans are so short for as late as it is ???

I wish you will, you have it much wetter than here.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

New format is a user/time killer jmo

Veteran Advisor

Wind,

As I was headed to the lake, in southern Iowa, over the weekend, I saw a farmer applying anhydrous. That's right, June 8th and anhydrous was still going into the ground. This guy obviously is going to plant his corn come hell or high water. There are all kinds of agronomic questions, that come up. For instance, he's susceptible to seedburn, I imagine. And if he plants the seed right in those same rows that the anhydrous is in, even worse seed damage, right?

Now, back to marketing. The yield on this June planted corn has only an 80% yield potential, according to Iowa State University data. He runs the risk of hurting his APH, and if an early hard frost hits, more trouble. Too big of a field to be planting for deer. So, what's the grain marketing decision, here? Plant it, hope for higher fall prices and sell it off of the combine?

Mike

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

He's gonna have to hope for a much higher price for his corn to sell it off the combine.   His drying costs and elevator shrinkage will eat him alive. Of course, he may not harvest it until sometime in 2020 also.

0 Kudos