cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Last chance to put in your guesses for crop acres and stocks before tomorrow.

I really have no basis for an opinion except that the weather was great for planting and during May there didn't seem to be any reason to plant soybeans more than corn so I guess I'll go with more corn, fewer beans.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: Last chance to put in your guesses for crop acres and stocks before tomorrow.

I'll go the opposite,  at planting I could contract beans above COP, definitely couldn't corn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Last chance to put in your guesses for crop acres and stocks before tomorrow.

I’ll say soybeans as well.  Planting here was horrible and plenty late.  Topped all records from last year on rainfall in May.   Most corn not even close to knee high.  Soybeans still being replanted locally.  A lot of fellas here planted corn up to three times only to have it drowned out repeatedly.  Areas in IL just had 5-7 inches just past few days, plenty of hail damage spotty around entire state.  We will see, already predicting December combining.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

So regional, even county to county. In our little pocket, corn is head high and beans at full canopy on June 30th. Just crazy what day after day at 86 degrees does to growth rates. Lots of areas struggling. I just doubt NASS will find many acreage shifts from intentions. Probably a non-event for the first time in a while. 

It is always weather 5 minutes after this report is released anyway.

Only bullish thing that could happen would be less bean acres and that makes it bullish beans.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Less corn 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Every acre that could be planted was.

Many that should be in grass or hay are beans or corn.

Numbers are apt to be big.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I haven't paid a lot of attention to all regions but am not personally aware of large areas with a lot of PP. Maybe was some in the far NW belt?

March acreage estimates build in some PP, and it tends to really make people mad when they often find more total planted acres in June in years without a lot of PP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Lost a few acres across MN and into WI since Sunday.  That's what 6+ inches in 24 hours will do.

Planned to go into cornfield in last pic on the 4th and hold up my hand so grandson could take my pic.

Rain-1  6-29-20.jpgRain-2  6-29-20.jpgRain-3  6-29-20.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

And this is why you never want to assume the NASS crowd will print the report that is expected. 

In reaching out to some seed industry mgmt types in our circle, they sold more than 92 mil acres of seed, but what do they know, farmers probably just stock piling it right :-)

I'll take the friendly report, but it is only bullish because the specs were so largely short going in to it.

PS, hate to see ponded water, but we all know that......    "rain makes grain"  :-)

0 Kudos