cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k-289
Senior Advisor

Re: Sometimes it works out, ....

Ever   ride  B A R T   in  the  bay  area ,  or east  coast ,  Northeast Corridor  ,  which  help  create  any  fiscal  discipline   in  the  rail system  -  that  was  dismantled  in  the  1980's  - - -

Examining  financials , the  US  taxpayer  has  invested  MEGA  $$$$$$$$$$$  in  an  F-35   fighter,  that  makes  the  latest  stimulus  spending  appear  miniscule  equal  -  -  -  

0 Kudos
bruce MN
Advisor

That trip was nothing like I’d imagine a trip through the U.S. West might be.  Extremely high speed. We’d go past a grove of trees and it looked like a tight picket fence.  A few stops at the edge of towns at rail intersections. And fields full of literally millions of olive trees. But a great, relatively inexpensive way to get from A to B.

Enjoyed your descriptions.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Took Amtrak from the Angels stadium parking lot in Anaheim up to Santa Barbara- that route ends just north of there at Goletta but there is another north bound train from there if you want to switch. 

From Santa Barbara, rented a car and drove Highway 1 up through Big Sur, Carmel. Ended at San Jose for a visit with my Uncle who passed away last month.

A simple and fairly inexpensive trip that we're planning to do again, except go farther north- we ran out of time and had to hightail it back on the Interstate to Santa Barbara and return the car.

If you do it, the Hearst Castle is worth the time and money, and if you do it in winter stop and check out the elephant seals doing their mating thing on the beach just north of there.

California apparently sends its bad wine to other states because there isn't a bad glass to be had there.

While I've yet to go through a guardrail and plunge to my death, my wife experiences some considerable anxiety driving through some of that stretch. It is spectacular, though.

You're probably a lot more likely to get hit by a rock anyway.

0 Kudos
bruce MN
Advisor

Sort of torn over this thread when I think about the fact our mutual values and lifestyle advisor over  at the virtue page has made such a pariah out of the practice of travel.

Unless, of course, you are inherently worthy. 

Hoping he doesn’t suddenly hold ill feelings towards SW.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

I used to ride the bus in Chicago to the Board of Trade. A lot of traders and others that worked at the CBOT.

The farm markets were traded on the floor of the CBOT. The farm markets. Grain trading. 

What do you think about the markets?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
bruce MN
Advisor

I’ve listened to them on the radio, called “the girl” at the elevator, checked them in the later years on DtN and now the internet. Every marketing day of my life since a very small boy. Have them bookmarked on my devices. Important to me.  Lots of good friend and relatives vested deeply in them.

Would get sent away from the table if I started talking or became disruptive when the Noon markets were on the radio.

As for today, currently from the outside but still very interested, they look quite good for anybody who has something to sell or will soon.

Not sure about “trading”. Never did a lot of that and surely don’t now.  We do own a substantial amount of Stocks and they have done well lately.

Thanks for asking.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Anybody on that train or bus have hogs at home?  Or carrying feed back from Chicago's "markets"?  Ever get any tips on  hogs processing or where to advertise their home processed meat?  

Check the Successful Farming website....... think we'll ever read an article again that deals with successful farming..... on the fine aspects of fencing, animal nutrition for flavor and grilling,  conserving grain for feed and processing to bypassing taxable events?  To store profits in canning jars?  

No we get this stuff---

"environmental and consumer groups, including the Sierra Club and Government Accountability Project, petitioned the EPA on Tuesday to regulate large dairy and hog operations under federal air pollution laws". Which ends with this

“Proven, pasture-based farming with reduced, sustainable herd sizes…will help restore rural communities, help stabilize the climate, and provide environmental justice,”     Horse excrement

from writers and educators who will never feed their own hogs. --- and until they do we should not reward them with the endorsement of a publication named Successful Farming.  Chuck is not a respected writer on "farming"....

Shilling for marketing parasites is not marketing either.   Marketing is selling or buying something worth value.  What you called the Chicago "markets" is just selling and buying "chances".  A Bookie service.

If we are going to be successful farmers we need to connect with those who consume, export and manufacture with our production.   I haven't seen a new idea that improved the market for a commodity ever on this forum.    "Marketing" here means guessing what the buyers will offer tomorrow.  It  is as disconnected from reality as Chucks latest "Critics Choice" winner is from actual farming.    His story is a whine on social engineering from the cheap seats, intent only on press manipulation to help them grab power with legislators who can't see through them.... The former levels of federal regulation they demanded contributed greatly to moving hogs onto mega farms.  Nothing to do with successful farming.  I just wish someone on staff would repeat   "What does that have to do with Successful Farming" as often as we care if this section relates to your idea of marketing.

Success in Marketing, as in all areas of agriculture, depends on developing relationships.  That is what might have been happening in this thread.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Great  relationships  is  an  interesting  topic ,  while  separation  of asportations ,  like  maybe  organic ,  consolidation ,  B  T  O  ,  etc.  -  -  -

A  ,  B T O,  announced  his  run  for  Nebraska  Governor , with  an  interesting  opening statement ,  which  isn't  complicated  , leaves  me  asking  ,  maybe  a  change  of  opportunities  is  now  on  the  agenda  - - -

I'm  still puzzled  on  the  large  asset  sale  of  the  folks  in  SW Kansas ,  while  I  ask  myself  occasionally,   is  the  full court  pre$$ ,  really  what  we  signed  up  for - ?          

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Caltrain announces "Menlo Park!" and Polka music plays ♪ as the doors open, kind of a nice touch  Smiley Happy

A long long time ago farmers around here would load their cattle or hogs on the train and ride along to Chicago, come back with the cash money (so long as they went straight home  Smiley Happy  ).    I can`t imagine riding a train 400 miles at 16mph.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

WOW -   16  mph  -   interesting   -  what  line  might have that been  - ?  

0 Kudos