cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Late planted corn yields

Below  a chart from Baum et al, 2019 reprinted in Nebraska's CropWatch   https://cropwatch.unl.edu/2019/corn-planting-windows-across-corn-belt puts some perspective on the yield prospects of  all the corn planted the past couple of weeks.  Baum's work used 95-103 day varieties. 

I stopped planting a few days ago leaving a few acres still in the bag myself but still wondering if this might be the year to take a chance.  But unless the weather warms up soon, even what I've planted might not make it.

It's raining again now, so I guess I'll stab in a few acres of soybeans when I can and call it good enough for the year.

Capture(full)(full).JPG
0 Kudos
1 Reply
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Late planted corn yields

Don`t anyone get me wrong, those university trials are valuable work.  It`s just in the actual field in a delayed planting situation could the yield hits be worse?   Because I imagine the university has a string of 4 good years and they plant into good conditions from April 15 to July 15 each week..that isn`t the same as mudding in June 10th for insurance deadline purposes.  Mudded in for insurance purposes corn isn`t going to get 200lbs of nitrogen and fugicide and all the other babying that a timely planted crop will get. 

But the graph is a good baseline to show under the best scenario that a June 10th planted crop will take at least a 20% yield hit.   Where as a babied crop planted May 1st will get everything it needs because it has a 300 bushel potential.