cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Latest on Bird Flu in MN

Hi Guys...

Here's a link from the MSP Star Tribune about the epidemic of bird flu.  Unlike the Ebola thing from last year, this is becoming really serious in the Midwest.  Here in MN, there seems to be more flocks infected daily.  Currently, about 1.4 million birds here in MN have been killed by the flu, or by efforts to stop it.  It means a lot less mouths to feed, and maybe you should get your Thanksgiving turkey in the freezer now.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/299732091.html?page=all&prepage=2&c=y#continue

I need to look at the weather for you guys, but haven't gotten around to it.  It continues to be really dry here in MN, I saw a farmer a few days ago putting NH3 on some really low marginal ground, and was surprised to see him in there.   Peas are being sowed in the area, with several nearby fields done.  Ground temps are surprisingly warm, a few days ago in the garden where I planted my peas I had 74 degrees at 4 inches.  I need to probe some areas where I didn't move the soil though, to see what it is.  

I'm recovering from a nasty chain saw cut that happened on Sunday, when I was trying to clean up some dead trees around the house area.  A tree had died and fallen over, breaking off about 12 feet above the ground with the broken off part still hanging up there on there at the break point.  I know these things can be problematic, and I thought that I was being careful, watching for any movement as I cut away some of the dead branches.  I cut a branch by the ground, and saw the trunk move - maybe 1/2 inch.  No big deal.  Wrong.  The end of the tree stuck on the stump left loose, and the tree rolled as it fell.  A branch that had been on the ground hit me in the back, sending me and the chainsaw tumbing down our hill.  Sometime during the fall, my left arm hit the still spinning blade, and cut a gash 5.5 inches long, a half inch wide, and when the Doc opened it up to clean it, he could see the bone, left arm, just above the wrist starting inline with the ring finger and cutting along the outside of the arm.  That's going to leave a mark. 

I was lucky.  It didn't hit the bone, or an artery, it took a bit of muscle that got stiched back, and took 8 interior stitches along with 7 exterior stitches to get closed.  Has I been farming this year - this would've REALLY slowed me down.  

Be careful out there guys.  You just can't be careful enough...

Jen

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Latest on Bird Flu in MN

"What makes old age hard to bear is not the failing of one's faculties, mental and physical, but the burden of one's memories"

W. Somerset Maugham
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Latest on Bird Flu in MN

Be careful feeding all your cats. Most of the cat food comes from rendered poultry and they don't know if it transfers.
0 Kudos