cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giolucas
Veteran Advisor

Re: Let's do this thing

At the beginning of the year I was in the market to buy 6 cabins to sleep kids in for camp. I got quotes from three local companies and prices ranged from $30,000 to $53,000. These were for basic cabins with one shower and a toilet.

I asked my Chinese contact to provide me a cabin manufacturer and I was quoted a steel expandable cabin with solar power, small shower and toilet for $12,000 . (Shipping included).

In this example what did Trumps 25% tariff accomplish? Nothing. Oh I forgot, I had to pay more money out of my 501c3 account to cover that extra tariff charge.

I will be in the market next year for four more cabins and I’m hoping my local companies can become price competitive.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: I'll admit to being stupid

"because there are few things more stupid than trying to convince stupid people that they're stupid."  ----- especially if your stupid enough to try it on the marketing forum.

stupid is as stupid does.

It is just deplorable .............

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: I'll admit to being stupid

Nox, you are stereotyping a lot here.  There are really smart and lucky people in farming and if they get along with a brother or another close family member, the sky is the limit....I`m not worthy!

Okay a young man in 1970 is given/inherits a 320 acre farm by his Greatest Generation dad, he marries a gal and her pa gives them a 240 as a wedding present.  Well, he farms in a quasi-partnership with his dad and brother, he has a halfwit uncle that loves to milk cows and slop hogs.  But heck you could buy $800 land and it cash flowed, the young farmer in the above scenario had his wife teach school and they lived off her teacher salary...Well, heck, that guy went to the banker with his brother and dad, they`d buy a 8820 combine and share in the payments and 16 row planter and 8630 (with a 40 series engine Smiley Wink  ) ...the world was their oyster no question about it. 

So fast forward to today and they own 4,000 acres free and clear and 5,000 head hog sites for free manure fertilizer and one of the cousins sells Channel seed just for the discounts.   I`m the last person to say these folks are "stupid" ..their wives were all probably "prom queens" too Smiley Very Happy

Us farmers all play the hand that we`re dealt and that means going from "too big for our britches" to being very humbled the next year.  Divorces, cancer, car accidents, hail, paying too much for land, hogs getting sick, 20% interest rates, whatever. Catches even the luckiest families sooner or later.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

giolucas,

Power to ya,  ya gotta do what ya got to do.   You buy the ones with the best value and never, never, never......feel sorry for the "local" companies who can't even compete with each other.

A $30K to 53K range of bids says it all.  And if you give them the chance they will buy the china cabin and sell it to you for $53k.  Most often that is the case.

0 Kudos
giolucas
Veteran Advisor

Sw,

Thank you and if I had millions to burn I would buy locally.
0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

There is a noxious smell on this site.   

That smell needs to go to a different forum and stay there.

Fresh air please........................

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

Gio...if you get the millions...
Don't forgot your friends !
😉

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

SW
Thank you for reminding me, and the sage
Advice. I'll try to remember that before I
Start to pull my hair out, and banging my
Head on the table in exasperation
0 Kudos
r3020
Senior Advisor

Elcheapo, if it gets to that have your wife take a video and post it in the forum. We could use a good laugh there. We need to know we are doin some good.

0 Kudos