cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Lets see if these bean pics drive down the price.

Not against anybody but this is gonna get fuggly fast.

There are some more pics up in the contest page.  These were taken wednsday evening.

IM000062.JPG

0 Kudos
10 Replies

Re: Lets see if these bean pics drive down the price.

Hi JR,

Other than the entirely understandable need to keep those young 'uns busy, I don't see the point of taking out a small amount of volunteer corn other than to keep the neighbors' tongues from wagging.

My Dad used to say that if federal grades permit 2% FM you might as well give it to them.

I concur about potential though- made a quick trip to Iowa last week and beasn looked very good for the most part. A lot of 30" rows that were near closed by the 4th which to me means a lot of potential still there.

Although my totally unscientific view has been that the WCB probably comes up short on moisture in the second half of the season- something that weather maps are kind of suggesting at the moment too.

0 Kudos
Advisor

nox, in our area (me n jr) the volunteer corn was really bad this year. Many cultivators came out of the sheds for coc fields. On the soybeans I have to spray it out for the seed I grow for monsanto but one neighbor always says that some volunteer just helps his combine feed better!

0 Kudos

I made it as far north as 20 then back through Webster City and south- was thinking I might head up to Woden but didn't have a lot of time.

Burned up some E-85, anyway.

Impala runs fine on it although an admittedly unscientific test showed about 25% less MPG.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Fusilade will take care of the volunteer corn in your bean fields......

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Yea but that don't keep the boys outa trouble! LOL

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

The neighbors would talk even if the fields were clean! LOL

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lets see if these bean pips drive down the price.

It's so dry here, the volunteer corn fizzled out on it's own.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Looks like they`re doing a good job Jr.  My vol corn was in clumps in places that 1 or 2 here and there was shielded from the 8 oz of Arrow and escaped. Your crew needs to walk through mine Smiley Wink  Nox, by any chance was you at the Wyffels` wing-ding at Vincent?  My God, I never knew they could make a tent so cold, I danged near frozen too death in July Smiley Happy  Dr Fred Below was interesting, seems you can bump your corn yields from 250 to 300.  The catch is, his recipe for the extra 50 bushels costs $300 more along with the caveat, that the weather has to cooperate, a dry June/July it all goes out the window.  I know I`ve given up on the 300 bushel pipe dream this year.  There`s still some time for the beans.  Hope everyone gets soaked, if you need it. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Nox, my wife's car is a flex-fuel, and we lose from 15-20% with e-85.  However, if we fill up with e-30 at a blender pump, we get within about 1 MPG of running straight no-lead.

Also, we have found that if we are where we don't have access to a blender pump, if you top off the tank, at just over 1/2 full, and use e-85 for one fill, and unleaded (or even e-10) for the next fill, alternating and always topping off when it is still at half tank or more, we get within 1-2 MPGs of running unleaded.

0 Kudos