cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Live Cattle

........are some end users needs not covered yet?...they gettin' squeezed?

gotta be near/at capitulation mark.

any cattle-men have an opinion?

thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Live Cattle

Hey CX, dunno about the "paper" business, but $138 fats at Algona on Monday and $141 the next day at Waverly.  Gooood property!

0 Kudos
Advisor

1.59 lb in Ontario at olex.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

the Feb futures traded to $1.41 today with a close just over $1.40

chart/bar-wise -- could've been a toppy day....candlestick-wise = doji or hammer/star - looks like a cross where she opens and closes around same price with about an equal amount of trade above and below the open/close....................

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Corn and soy guys that took out that pasture and hay field to produce more corn and soy,should have spent a little more time and possitive thinkinking before getting rid of the cows!

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It is still low numbers as ray h says.  Big lots not able to find enough cattle.  How long will it take to rebuild?  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

John Deere doesn't offer fence supplies and you can't stretch fence from a tractor seat---

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

West of us in eastern colo and nw nmex. the ranches got culled deeply on two different drought years.  This last year greened it up a little, but I wonder if the drought is really over since we still haven't seen a year approaching normal rainfall (only a fall).

The people in that area may take longer to replace than the cattle do.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Halting the exit of  cow/calf  producers is an accumulation of several head winds - weather (drought-blizzards)-pasture expense - cow/heifer costs-and the determination of living extremely conservatively during the process --- finding a lending source that will ride it out with an operator that starts out fresh  with a mentor has a limited supply of participants as rural population declines and lending institutions consolidate requiring strong equity positions removes another group of young cow/calf producers--- integration of this segment of ag may be upon us sooner than one might think --- I have visited with some folks in southern Texas and they expressed why run a beef outfit when an oil lease is a way more lucrative than a 7 day week livestock enterprise---I guess those disappearing 50 - 100 cow outfits where a little more valuable than the industry thought although they didn't display a lot of glitter at the check off winter conventions in tinsel town  ---    

Honored Advisor

Expressed well ---- I could see the cattle business going the way of the hogs and chickens.  For the very reasons you express.

0 Kudos