cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Livestock people

I don`t mind people complaining about prices, like you say Jr it`s what we do.  I complain about movie tickets and spending $80 at Applebees for 4 (even when we order 2 can dine for $25) then feel hungry on the way home...for $45 I could buy 4 Ribeyes and the fixin`s and it`s better and ain`t nobody eatin` nothing for the rest of the day after that.  

What really stuck in my craw was 3 years ago in the egg dept at Hy-Vee, Sparboe "farms" had a sign up by their eggs blasting the farmers and price of corn and Ethanol for the reason that the price of their eggs had to go up.   That shouldn`t happen, oh behind the scenes at their meetings if they cuss the "greedy" farmers, I don`t care but when they blast other commodity producers as an excse for they having to charge more is tacky.

Us corn farmers must not have liked $8 corn either...look how quickly we over-produced and dropped it in half.  With "friends" like ourselves, I would sure hate to see our enemies.   πŸ™‚

Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

you know its funny you bring this up

before I elaborate I want to again reiterate that a pile of livestock as come thru this farm for many many decades.  cow calf and farrow to finish.  so i have seen and been on both sides of it.  either truck the corn off or walk it off.

have several cattle boyz around and a few have been known to ask to buy corn out of the field.  we usually dont mind. even though everything goes into the bin in the fall to cure out and leaves the following year when basis gets better and time allows to haul it. 

so this fall had a neighbor swing by and want to buy some corn.  nice guy, great neighbor.  hes all cattle.  said thats fine how much you need.  He tells us the amount and that he will just haul it over to his bin out of the field with one of his gravity wagons, which is conveniant for him since its like a mile away.  so he comes over and I use the grain cart to weigh off a couple of loads for him

fast forward a few days maybe a week later he comes by to settle up.  course we have the bushels figured via weight off the grain cart.  its was dry corn, running in the 14's.  he agrees on the bushels as he saw me weight it off, and then we discuss price.  he makes the comment that the local so and so is paying X.XX.  He never mentioned what they are charging if you are pulling outbound of there, which is usually a good 20 cents and sometimes 50 cents over what the are paying inbound.  Not to mention he has zero transportation cost as it was pulled direct out of the field within a mile of his bin.  I kind of look at him and say, well our grain heads into terminal markets, lets give them a call and see what they are paying today.  Got on the phone and their bid was 40 some cents higher even after what we figure for trucking.  So i tell him they are X.XX and his was X.XX.  He just kind of looks and me and says well what do we want to use.  Mind you this was last fall when cattle were on a freaking tear higher.  I about fell over.  First off there was zero chance buying outbound local with trucking was going to be less than the bid I got.  Yet he wanted to use a local inbound price in the gut slot of harvest knowing dang good and well our grain leaves late winter into spring and summer when basis goes positive.  Finally just said split the difference and move on.

so yes, I know what you are saying.  Its even worse with hay.  hell last year i sprayed down and planted two hay fields that have been in sod for 30-40 years just so the neighbor wouldnt bug me about baling it up on shares basically stealing the hay.  saw him this late summer and he was still bitching about row crop farmers stealing all the hay ground and pasture ground.  I LOOKED HIM STRAIGHT IN THE EYE AND SAID WELL IF YOU DONT LIKE IT GO BUY MORE LAND.  HE PROMPTLY SHUT UP about it and moved on to another subject.

Livestock only producers are the worst.  Grain and livestock guys vary depending on how much they own versus rent.

mzeiler72709
Contributor

As a young producer just starting out I delivered $1.87 corn to local feedlots and watched them get new ford pickups by the transport load and also watched them get everything from new manure spreaders, to all new loaders, tractors, choppers, swathers and list went on and on to new homes and landscaping in the six digits, yet they whined about the LDP's the farmer was receiving, that kept us hanging on. Who got the subsidy in the end? It wasn't me, it was the cattle producer who enjoyed record profits at the farmers expense! Once again beef is unaffordable to the average family but has it stopped the cattle guys from buying $4000 dollar cows and $2000 dollar feeder steers? Nope! But we should give them the corn and the hay so the wife can keep driving the new Escalade to town! I watched the death loss first hand this winter at a large feeding operation and the average family could live on the dollars lost for one year on the daily loss at that feedlot. That tells me when dozens of animals are lost per day and nothing was done to stop it, that the profits are too large!
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

We can all bicker, bitch and moan about how the other guy is always getting a bigger piece of the pie be it he either a livestock producer or a grain producer.  The only true way that I can see to eliminate this stumbling block is diversification.  I avoided it for nearly 10 years because during those 10 years grain farming was much easier.  I mean who wants to work in the bitter cold tending livestock when we can sit in our heated shops or houses and just wait the winter out.

Is the real reason some got out of livestock production because there was more $ in grain or was it because some of us became lazy and didn't want to put in the extra effort?  For me it was a mixture of both, but the ones who stuck with it are being rewarded now and my hats off to them for a job well done.

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

Thing that gets me....our renters in in a
Pasture in one county got over $300 a pair
For a disaster payment....the other pastures
In the other counties got over $150 a
Pair.

I know, I had to sign the paper

And we never help the cattlemen ....and
oh by the way, the calfs sold out of
The pasture over $1500 a head.

And what did I get?
And they had a fit when I wanted to
Raise the rent a dollar an acre.
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

lol

I know the livestock disaster payment was huge around here, i saw some of the numbers.  massive massive massive.

I have zero displeasure towards the livestock guys making a buck.  they earned it.  they should have some glory days.  I have zero issue with that at all

my issue is, I still buy their product and dont say much regardless of price.  got groceries on Friday.  Milk is near $4.50/gallon when it used to be under $3 not that many years ago.  Ground beef is $5 and $6 a pound and steaks are $10-$15/pound now.  Pork has probably put at least $1/pound on all cuts, more on some.  Chicken has risen some too but not as much.  Cheese used to beable to buy a pound for $2.  Now is closer to $4 in the bricks and $8-$12 for the good stuff behind the counter.

Basically things have doubled in price.  Some way more some a little less.

so there in lies my issue.  I still buy their products regardless of cost and dont complain, simply point it out for comparison.  The livestock producers has never stopped complaining, especially those that are 100% hoof.

as to shaggys comment.  there are better ways to earn a buck and diversify than livestock.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I agree MT, there is more than 1 way to diversify and the very subject is very location dependant as to what those diversification options are.  In my location we've got many, many acres that are unfarmable and probably almost just as many that shouldn't be farmed that currently are.  Livestock (cattle) are just almost a perfect companion to grain production in this location just because of the quality of the existing acres.

0 Kudos
childofthecorn
Veteran Contributor

My family was "diverse" we raised hogs till 1998.  Then all the BTO's drove the price down.  Why would I get back in to a vertically integrated market like hogs,, poultry or cattle?  When its your turn to make money shut up and enjoy it,  when its your turn in the poor house grit your teeth and wait it out. But bashing the other guy and trying to ruin his market cause its his turn FINALLY (grain farmers 2007-2012) to make some money is just being a spoiled brat. 

0 Kudos
childofthecorn
Veteran Contributor

your right mzeiler, who really got the subsidy?  Now if we could only get a Great American corn buy out like the dairy boys when they over produce we might have a chance!!!!

0 Kudos
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Re: Livestock people, Mizzou

if the govt gave Every farmer ( crops, livestock, big, little don't matter ) $1,000,000 each tommorrow...heck we'll all go spend bout $3,000,000 the next day.

heck it may be 1 of thee best forms of sociali econ stimulus...yet undiscovered by govts now times.

0 Kudos