cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Esteemed Advisor

Re: Loan rates

The real question is why isn't anyone doing anything about it.

No farm protests

No Suc Farming "Trade War KIA" covers about the growing farmer suicide crisis.

Heck, I can think of 10 ways to make the issue a NY Times front cover story, maybe

park the tractors in front of every FSA office for a day or two. Maybe have a few

guys loose their loads in front of some Trump properties....

Since no one is seriously complaining...we will just have to wait to be

"taken care of" I suppose. And, really, Jim is even worse, saying you could

have sold using the absolute high price for the move is a bit "never never landish".

Ag in general understands the globe exploits our technology all the time, and is

certainly willing to be a good food soldier...but the cry should be "10-4 Sir"

.....$10 and $4 loan rate.... "10-4 Sir".

I am becoming more and more convinced that the outcome of this will be much

higher imports of grains (billions of bu of corn) by the Chinese, and the same amount

of soy, pretty sure we win the war....just feel for those farmers who will be MIA when it is over.

"10-4 Sir" Just a little body armor for the guys on the frontline is all.

Honored Advisor

Farmers whether they admit it or not are very dependent on the outside forces.  Foreign countries that import ag products have had choices, much like if as consumers we have a ax to grind at Meijer grocer stores, we can boycott them and go to Aldi or HyVee or Fareway or Safeway.  The foreigners say "if you don`t buy 10 times more stuff from us, we won`t buy anything from you!" .  Under those conditions (if you`re willing to let your country get screwed) gets you up to $10 beans and $4 corn, lower most of the time.

Then Farmers get cocky "I don`t want subsidies, I don`t need subsidies...I`m a Bigshot and bulletproof!".   Now some are having a gut check, but want to go back to their country getting screwed to just get the subsistence prices (I don`t know that`s possible anymore, some bridges behind us have been torched).

As small potatoes as the farm industry really is, it might be better all the way around if we got real and went back to $100 billion farmbills and be honest about our dependence on the 99% of the rest of the population.

I floated this idea, prices were good and a lot of hope still 7 months ago.  It went over like a lead balloon, but let`s see how they like it now.   

https://community.agriculture.com/t5/Farm-Business/Trade-Disruption-Insurance/m-p/686654#M27581

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Leaves  the  question  of   -    T  D  Nutrients  of  crow,  feathers  ?  ? 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Insurance. For real? Or the modern day version of welfare with a guilt free title.

I like the idea of a decent loan rate adjusted to cost of living index. I think the basic commodities should have value regardless of supply. Let Congress store it and manage surpluses. They could take their retirement as wheat in burlap sacks.

The best option is stop paying for lifestyles in welfare cash and taxpayer paid retirement benefits.
Hunger would restore commodity value. Or at least, change the perspective. I’m all for hunger especially in the US. Or whatever it takes to humble me and make me glad I got a job to do.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

SW, I`m along for the roller coaster ride, whatever you guys decide as far as farm programs or payments, I`ll adjust.  But I`ll show my cards here 1. I want the President to be successful and easily win a 2nd term.   2. I like what he is doing with trade and want him to do what he intends.

Here is the problem, I don`t have a lot of faith in the resolve of a few farmers, I`m afraid when we`re into 6 moths + of $2 corn and $7 beans and the stack of unpaid bills on the kitchen table grows, they are going to start "worshipping the antichrist" in other words, they are going to become "never trumpers".  I don`t want to see that, we need all the Trumpers we can get. 

So, I wouldn`t be against an infusion of cash into farmer`s pockets to keep them righteous dudes.  However, if that was the path, it should`ve been announced back in January BEFORE cash corn had a 2 in front of it, that would`ve sent a strong message to those we`re negotiating with as well, that Red State farmers will be taken care of.

But, perhaps I`m underestimating farmers....I hope.   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

In my original post I stated I hadnt given much thought to the repercussions of raising loan rates. As I have given more consideration I find myself wondering how is farmers wanting loan rates raised any different than the fight for $15 movement that minimum wage workers started?
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It is somewhat comparable.....minimum wage........ and commodity supported price.

But we are spitting in the wind as long as politicians can print cash  without responsibility. It is  the ultimate "let them eat cash" snub from elite classes.  IMO it is what is killing traditional agriculture and most of the american economy.

1.  The reason trade deficits don't bother us.  Cash leaves and we print more.  Ultimately it was  meant to penalize the US economy and reward the growing economies  of the world through trade deficits and throttling profitability in the US while spuring manufacturing everywhere else.

2.  As long as investment income is given tax breaks comparative to wage income. The hourly workers are being expected to pay the mounting debt of printed  cash.

( $ 15 minimum wage is just a token to the tax burdon headed for those who live on W-2 form income.  Like a flower to mark the grave.)

think of this in terms of wind energy and it gets a little clearer.

3. As long as we believe we can substitute government economy for the private economy being crushed and driven out, we are spittingin the wind. And the data published does not reflect the masive changes happening.-----Fact is we all look for a government answer and ignore governments responsibility in its anti business, anti profit, anti corporate, anti property rights, anti work etc etc  positions.

--------------------------------------------------

BA.  Unless we see millenials or everyone under 50, start 1. understanding Trumps anti corrupt politics positions, 2. become knowledgable on economics and history.And 3. Become desirous of personal choice and education.  Trump will be a flash in the pan of fried democracy.

We need to see some younger leaders coming on that will  be content with leadership and not in love with  themselves through "Foundation and Legacy" building.  

A 2008 economic collapse might have been a better answer long term.  

Us spoiled baby boomer " Samuel L. Jackson" types have taken a great foundation and shattered it in every way possible..... and just a few years after I was born a humble man left the white house and drove his own car back to Missouri without a Magnificent profit from being president.

We get what we deserve. And we better find something better than Trump the trail blazer to man the rudder.

I hope your right .... because I don't see a successor following suit and there are plenty of votes for sale and plenty of west coast money to buy the next election.

Reeducating is not going to happen quickly and the internet mediums that made it possible to surcomvent the control of the message is and will  be under attack in congress by both sides that got beat by Trump. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

BA ---- A 4.50/10 loan rate is not a hunk of cash in farmers pockets.

Not a great position at all.

I do some advising on labor issues and for the last two years have been seeing serious discouragement among production agriculture.

I am not sure any price would turn that around.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

SW   -  Cheap    Food     Karma   -   experts  are  where  to  be  found  ? 

Honored Advisor

Lugnut, raising the loan rate is different than a $15 minimum wage in that the government forks out the expense, where as the employer would have the "unfunded mandate" of paying $15/hr.   (I`m neither for or against a $15 wage per se, it would draw folks south of the border though)

SW, sealing grain at higher levels probably isn`t the farmer`s salvation.  Loans have to unfortunately be paid back and I don`t think any farmer has a shortage of loans.  Let`s just say if someone were to suggest a more generous direct payment and counter-cyclical payment program, I wouldn`t argue with them   Smiley Wink

0 Kudos