cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Local Bean Harvest Started

Neighbors to the west about 20 mi cut their first 40. Across the scales at a whopping 49. Field APH is 67. Yep it still takes rain in August to make beans. If you haven't done it yet, good time to touch base with your crop ins rep to make sure you do everything right for a > $200,000 claim.   🙂

7 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Local Bean Harvest Started

mine are still probably 3 weeks away yet.

I think they are between 25 and 50 bpa depending on farm.

Gonna be very close to my 75% crop insurance guarantee.

Corn seems to have taken it on the chin worse than the beans.

0 Kudos
rsbs
Senior Advisor

Local bragging has commenced with beans in the 70 bpa range. Pretty soon we will hear 80 bpa, then some 90s and 100s.

You never want to be the first guy to say a yield cause you know you will get surpassed.

Funny how the guys with the biggest yields always seem to be the ones with financial issues, and the ones that say "hey mine never average that" usually have money in the bank.

WCMO
Senior Advisor

Past 2 months received NASS guesstimated harvest yield survey -- been reporting an estimated overall 40/acre beans, 10-year APH ranges from 50 to 58, 80% enterprise unit acreage-weighted actual average guarantee 43.3/acre.  I'd walk around and do a more professional estimate, but doing so makes no difference in anything.  If anything, might have to adjust my yield guess downward, but hope not.  Have some replanted beans that are still green, rest are dropping leaves quickly.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

The range in maturity around here is beans green as grass to "done" and the field tilled.  The bean seed size seems small to me, a lot of pods, but small seed.  Most need a good week before ready, I just don`t see honest bragging this year, corn or beans. 

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Got everything dusty yesterday. First 24 acre field went 53.7 aph of 63 on that one. Next 160 at 61, aph of 68 on the homestead field. Pretty much as expected, average -8% or so. Just can't do it without water in June/July/August on the variable soils of the eastern belt.

Cool yield maps though, high of 86 and low of 36 on every single 1/2 mile long pass in the 160 🙂

0 Kudos
WCMO
Senior Advisor

Answered another monthly NASS yield survey tonight.  Left expected bean yields same as reported past couple months.  Little shower last week (4/10ths) didn't make any difference, not enough to close any cracks in the ground though greened up the grass a bit.  Haven't seen any beans cut around here yet, but have heard of some maybe 25-30 miles both north and south of me, yields highly variable but better than I expect here, just a dry spot here.  My 3.5 beans should be ready in a week or less, getting anxious for the ultimate yield test, over the scale -- these will be 1st beans I planted, but neither my best nor my worst.  Planted 4.2 on my best ground, and worst will be last, where I had to replant.

I didn't plant any corn this year, looks like corn harvest is around 50% done, have heard rumor yields all over the range.  Expect some insurance claims from folks farming ground with more clay, or that flooded early in season, and/or replanted.  Silage appraisals back that up.

At least around here, this year reminds me of (I think) 1995 -- nice March to get things ready, wet/cold late April, wet May, then the rains just stopped and basically dry from early June to harvest.  Didn't have any insurance claims in fall 1995, think that was my 1st year carrying crop insurance on corn and beans -- basic units, guarantee was probably 60-65% back then, no "revenue" policies, yields barely above guarantees (funny how that works).

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

My beans are a ways off on the replanted one's.

Still green to just a hint of off coloring.

Tomorrow morning 35° will frost the bottoms most likely.

Be a blessing on the corn. It is mature but the late rains queered it. Expect a crop insurance claim there.

Was checking beans yesterday, most are frost proof but still doing a little something in spots.

Mighty small seed size on all I looked at. Quite a few pods though. Looks like they tried their best with no rain for 60+ hot, dry, windy days.

The replants are the ones that need to have an average frost date here. (Oct 11)

Hoping for a better year next year...

0 Kudos