cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Looking at my waistline

There may actually be an increase in food demand beyond just front loading and hoarding.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Looking at my waistline

Speaking of food-

looks like our fresh fruit and vegetable system is severely stressed.

Enhanced immigration problems, loss of the restaurant market, sudden change in retail and transport etc.

Might want to lay in some more frozen or be down to the case of canned green beans.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

This is a real killer for a lot of specialty operations who depend on restaurants, farmers markets etc.

As I always say about commodity farming- you may not like the price but at least there’s a market.

Veteran Advisor

That gave me a good belly laugh.

And would betcha dollars to doughnuts the majority of hoarders weren't Conservatives because Every. Single. Liberal. 

I know panicked.  Every single one.

...and some have since apologized:  "How did you know?"

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Canning company in next door town has their labeling lines running 24/7.

Trucks and rail cars being loaded/shipped at record pace.

Trucks bringing unlabeled cans in from other warehouses all over the place.

People who haven't planted gardens before will be this year.

Might put the tiller back on father-in-laws garden tractor and make some cash.

Of course once this blows over the weeds will most likely take over.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I periodically take the "pulse" of what is going on with the general public...take a gander over at seed sites frequented by the casual gardener:

out of stock

out of stock

out of stock

Baby chicks being bought up just as fast.

People are scared.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

If this is the case, we should see an increase in all farm commodities...........right?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: "People are scared", if you're not .....

"People are scared".   If you're not at least a little concerned, you're not paying attention or you're a fool.

Senior Advisor

Re: Ironic, huh?

Ironic, huh?  Three years of trade war and trump couldn't get Americans to stop buying Chinese stuff.  I guess he decided that the only way to cut Chinese imports was to trash the economy and make everybody too poor to buy.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Re: "People are scared", if you're not .....

What I am is NOT afraid.

I do, however, 100% respect it.  I show it the same respect I showed when I held a 14-foot Burmese python.  And what you don't do when you hold a python is smell like a chicken.

So educate yourself on what you are dealing with, take all available precautions, and lose the fear.

===

All commodities?  If you were asking me, no, I don't see a major rush by the public to start growing their own soybeans or field corn, but that's probably a good thing.

0 Kudos