cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Low test weights, more cracking in 2013 corn

The U.S. Grains Council has released its 2013/14 Corn Export Cargo Quality Report. My first thought was that the quality must be good, since exports and inspections are over 100% of the USDA's projections with 5-months left in the marketing year. Here is a summary and a link to the full report:

This year’s report finds – while there is year-over-year variability by each export channel – that overall quality continues to be very good with the average aggregate quality of export corn exceeding standards for U.S. No. 2 on all grading scales, according to the U.S. Grains Council press release. In addition, the incidence of aflatoxin and DON is very low, with all samples tested below the FDA action levels/advisory levels. As compared to a year ago, other findings included slightly lower test weight, higher moisture content due to a wetter year, and a higher incidence of stress cracks and broken kernels, likely due to additional drying.

A full copy of the report is available here.

What are your thoughts on this report? I'd love to discuss this with you.

Mike

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Low test weights, more cracking in 2013 corn

Your head line is not exacty true.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Just finished hauling 4,000 bu to the local elevator yesterday. Most of it tested around 62 pd/bu. One load was almost 63.  Patrick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

The 2012 corn crop in Iowa had exceptional test weight---highest I have seen in the 23 years here...

believe the crop year average was around 59.5

this year we are running close to 58 (57.96 in March) and I expect the rest of the year to be 58+ as the wet corn this winter, which was a substantial amount, had slightly less test weight.....The 2 myn March corn that was 16% and higher had a 57.30 TW

so, I guess you can say "it's all relative".......58# corn for an average is still very, very good for the entire book of corn

Ray J

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Hobbyfarmer,

Feel free to offer up one. I would love to read what you think it should be.

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

"Corn Export Quality Averages Better Than US #2"

or

"Corn Export Demand Strong, Quality Good"

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Pick one of the above
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

The low test weight stuff is up here in MN. 2012 crop was like lead, 2013 not so much.Have seen loads as light as 49lbs. hauled  in this year.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I only cut around 6,000 bushels from 180 acres due to drought reasons, but the lightest I hauled in was 59# test.  Not sure if it makes any difference, but our grain is allowed to dry in the field before harvesting and it all was harvested between 15%-16% moisture.

0 Kudos