cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: M2M. Corn: correction, collapse or catastrophe?

I did some "geological reconnaissance" this afternoon, in search of the one rock that will total out my combine.  Hopefully one of those and not still in field   Smiley Happy

roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

You certainly have to have stones to be a farmer.😉

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Don`t tell Chicago, but I think we have a above trend yield on rocks this year  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Veteran Advisor

Time- some replant in our area due to guys trying to go mid-April when ground was too cold.  Was still kind of cold 2 weeks later when we planted but emerged after 11 days.

Warmed up a bit early May so that helped. 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

There is an underlying notion here that we are seeing an anomaly.  The idea that we just misjudged 2020.  Failed to account for enough wind damage. etc.

Within 12 days of the wind in Iowa, the basis in feedlot country was not anticipating a good crop, let alone a great crop.

my point is........ Did we get this far off in one month or even one year or "one wind storm".  market has been talking to us now since August 12.   We get this far off by guessing.(projections and misapplication of projections)

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Time, you are welcome to come to my place hopefully late this week and run the planter replanting beans. Still black wet out there so waiting for dry out.

Next big field south bto got ready to plant corn nh 3 etc but didn't get there, still puddles out there, he got lucky.

Radar shows light showers coming this way...

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

We still have acres to plant..... nice 2 inches over the last couple of days but crop was slow out of the ground as late as last year --- but the telling tale is only one day of sunshine in the last two weeks--not rare for corn belt but very rare for us..... and not today or tomorrow.

This year is off to a slower start than 2020 was ---We are only 7 days from our big wind last year and biggest corn is barely 4 leaf.   Wearing a jacket every morning,  This is not a better year so far.  But then we like to talk potential and ignore reality.  

0 Kudos