cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

MILO MARKET

Sorghum exports are on fire.. almost DOUBLE this time last year.  $.70 over Corn at the gulf..

Sorghum allows the Chinese importers to bypass the corn quota so it might be possible to expand coarse grain exports to China by substituting sorghum acres for corn acres

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: MILO MARKET

Isn't that kind of a dead ended market for the producer Hobby? Don't misunderstand me I'm glad for the exports, but if sorghum price is set from the corn price does it make a difference to the producer what the exports are?
0 Kudos
Jed Stivers
Senior Contributor

It helps in the basis a lot. At least here it does.
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

If the export market or other market asks for milo it should improve the basis relative to corn
0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Shaggy,  what's wrong with a little love and desire for the red haired step child? 

A positive basis over corn and right at harvest? Yes it is a big deal. 

Might get corn out of where it doesn't belong. Oh and it is non GMO just for bonus points.

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

Years ago there was talk of having a
Milo/grain sorghum market "in the
Center of the country"
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Just check my local basis

Corn -$0.19
Milo -$0.30

Cash corn is +$0.16 versus cash milo. My location generally has a negative basis due to the fact we have no local end users and a high percentage of sold grain gets truck shipped to a terminal from the elevator.
0 Kudos
Jed Stivers
Senior Contributor

Here we're -.15corn, +.40 milo
3.44 corn
3.99 milo
http://www.farmersupply.com/index.cfm?show=11&mid=3
Also have a big positive basis on beans and we never have that at harvest. Someone is wanting something.
0 Kudos
nutlug
Veteran Contributor

Shaggy weren't you going to market your Milo through your cows? Cargill in Salina is 0.20 over for milo and 0.20 under for corn. Have you ever checked bids at the ethanol plant at Russell? That should be an end user fairly close to you and a source of wet distillers grain for your cows.
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Till one has adequate grain storage at home there is NO incentive for the locals to do anything different in the rape and pillage dept.

If this becomes the new norm, 40¢ a bu per year would be pretty easy to justify a few bins.

0 Kudos