cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

MN Governor

Has ordered all schools in MN closed on Monday due to the cold weather. I don't remember that happening before, at least not in the recent past.

Jen
0 Kudos
14 Replies
farsider
Senior Contributor

Re: MN Governor

Gov Carlson did it in 94,96 and in 97. There's being hardy and then there's being stupid, when it concerns the safety of the kids it's prudent to close for the day.
http://climate.umn.edu/doc/journal/historic_windchills.htm
0 Kudos
Riverlandfrmr
Frequent Contributor

Good thing we're in a global warming pattern or it would be cold

0 Kudos
tim7781
Frequent Contributor

I agree, one bus gels up out in the country or on some back road it can get cold fast.

0 Kudos
jput
Senior Contributor

Odd how school bus outfits can't figure out how to do what we farmers do?   Semis,   skidloaders,  diesel tractors,  will be running during this cold snap.   Apparently those students will be attending school all the way to July 4th if Governor Wussie keeps this up.

In today's cell phone world,   folks don't stay stranded on the road for long.   And with preventative maintenance,  fuel correction to the cold,  there's no reason school  buses can't do what our tractors and skid loaders do during cold snaps.

0 Kudos
Slim123
Senior Contributor

Some of the same people complaining about closing school with the day's high temperature at -18 below with wind chill at -40 below will be the first to complain when his kid gets stuck in his driveway and he has to plow the kid out.

0 Kudos
jput
Senior Contributor

So Slim,  work is going to completely stop Monday-Tuesday on dairy farms,  livestock farms?    Farmers will just leave diesel tractors and skid loaders in the sheds and take the days off?   Or will they adjust the fuel mixture,  have changed fuel filters before winter set in,  and conduct business as ususal?   I have full confidence that the local school bus company mechanics are every bit as intelligent as we farmers are in adjusting to a cold snap.

Now using your example,  students "stuck in the driveway"  could just walk (yeah I remember when people walked,  you know,  like used their feet) up the driveway to a warm farmhouse.    We're teaching our children to be whimps.    Classrooms are well heated and a cold winter day is a perfect time for learning.   Better than keeping students cooped up in classrooms in June when they're all looking out the windows at the nice weather.

No,  I wouldn't favor operating school buses when high winds are drifting roads shut.  But that's a different situation than it's just cold outside.  

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

How many of those kids are going to do farm work in June?  -------- or learn a lot on a cold snowy day?    Get real....

0 Kudos
farsider
Senior Contributor

Jput I was going to explain how temps approaching 30 below and winds of up to 40 mph producing wind chills around 60 below are far worse then drifting snow and a bus getting stuck but then I read a few of your posts and I can tell you are just an idiot.
jput
Senior Contributor

And I pointed out that in the real world,   trucks,  tractors,  skidloaders will be running in this cold.  Those school buildings will be heated,  students in there or not,  so there is no reason not to hold school. 

But on second thought,  maybe the students should stay home from school.   They're only missiing teachers indoctrinating them about global warming,  lol.   Lighten up,  Francis.

0 Kudos