cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doug N
Veteran Contributor

Re: MT Challenge

I'm very well positioned in my corn and soybean sales.  The extra acres were in corn in the U.S. and soybeans in U.S. and Canada.  Its just what I'm reading, not my opinion.  But when people who dedicate their lives to these things say something, its at least worth listening to. There has been talk about 3 million acres that were unaccounted for in the March Planting intentions.  On the flip side I heard that from 2000-2007 16 million acres were lost to development.  Seems strange how the total acres can vary from year to year.

0 Kudos
Doug N
Veteran Contributor

I should add I feel its way to premature to make any yield guesses yet.

0 Kudos
nwiafmr
Frequent Contributor

On the latest Market to Market, Mark Pearson reported that from 2002 to 2007 more than 16 million acres of US farmland had been lost to rural development.   There was a link on another ag website that the past four years an average of one and a half million acres each year of US farmland had been lost to rural and urban develpments.   That would total more than 22 million acres of US farmland that no longer is being farmed in just the past ten years.    Does any of these acres of lost US farmland ever get accounted for......?

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Do you really think there were 34,000 sq miles of FARM GROUND used up with non farm development in the last decade?

who puts this stuff out and why doesn't anybody think to digest these bogus #'s?

0 Kudos
farsider
Senior Contributor

Some info for you

0 Kudos
unlgrad
Senior Contributor

Re: Some info for you

Just amazing that we lost 34 million acres from 1997 to 2007.  It is hard to fathom.

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

in your own back yard..........

how many bin sites...........building/shop sites............animal confinement............not to mention rural/local schools, parks, rec areas............then tack on big time residential and commercial............

it adds up over time..........and most of those are lost acres.........not crop rotation acres, pasture, hay ground, CRP.................simply lost..........gone.........

its funny........the same crowd that has crewed on me for two years about my statements of not having enough acres..........robbing Peter to pay Paul so to speak................ is burning up the calculator to make sure they are all accounted for because we need em................and is finding out now what some of us saw coming August of 2010............

0 Kudos
SWMICH
Frequent Contributor

I can look out my back door and see more land being cleared for crops in all directions.   I'm just a small timer and I cleared a few fence rows and a small p atch of woods and gained 10-12 acres.  I'm also seeing land that was not in production going into crops.  Its usually only a few acres but over the country it will add up.  7 and 14 makes you think about clearing more ground.

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Heard it all last year too........HMMMMMM
0 Kudos
Brianfo
Frequent Contributor

Where's the video of you're 12 row equipment?????????

0 Kudos