cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Palouser
Senior Advisor

Major corrections to EU and Russian wheat

Russia will be down 1/3 from last year and the EU is back to at least 127 MMT from the upper 130's.

Remember the ace in the hole? Keep it - if your fortunate enough to have it.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sixtysixx
Veteran Contributor

Re: Major corrections to EU and Russian wheat

not gonna lie but I was starting to freak out a bit. What is your thoughts on pricing new crop at this point? thanks

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

That's a good question and I don't have a really good answer. Wheat is the easiest crop to take a hit in the fall from major increases in planting in the fall - even though prospects can't really be determined. I think the southern Plains are going to plant lots of wheat because it is the cheapest crop and needs the least moisture and will have a nice insurance price set. It will get planted in the dust if need be. On the other hand, corn is a strong competitor for acres in some places domestically and globally.  But the Black Se area - like much of the plains is suited to wheat.

On the other hand there are reasons to think wheat will take a bounce some time this fall. But pricing for next year can't be a bad idea. May be the best idea. 

Meanwhile D.C. stalls ion the farm bill. This one is going to be good.

0 Kudos
sixtysixx
Veteran Contributor

thanks for the thoughts Pal. Will most likely make some new sales at 8.25 locally, that with some double crop beans in the teens will be a nice pay day I think, as for old crop I am nervously holding tight....for now. I feel that there will be a large amount of wheat acres put out this fall.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Palouser,

do you anticipate wheat substitution for corn & milo usage to be enough to change the normal fall/winter chart for wheat??

----------------------------

just comments-----

There are nearly as many acres in the southern plains needing to go to wheat as last year-----and again------needing a rain.

The description might be "crop of last choice" for large areas, if the ins coverage is there and priced right.  After 2 years of dry land failures it is the only choice.

0 Kudos
pritchh
Senior Contributor

In fact whet is grown all over the earth. Rare to hurt the collective crop too much.

+ high Prices ration .

AUG 2012, WZ3 was 860,

it is 680.

wheat is NOt a capital asset, it is a commodity grown to be SOLD,

if somoene is worried gbout the Ruessian wheat ccrop,, you SELL,, into that demand.

vs trung to be endlessly bullish, and doing  yourself harm.,