cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Marketeye. You asked for it. Might wanna set down

Here's some pics from my second planted corn field.

COB
Planted last few days of April
Healthy shot of P,K,S
185 units of N. NH3 dropping 160 units of N about 2.5 weeks before planting. Remainder spun on with P at planting.
Planted 28K.
Pic taken on a Grundy ridge, not some pothole

You can see the corn is 5ft tallish, maybe 6, and has some color. From the road it looks ok and certainly better than some.

This is what happens when it rains 3-4ft in a couple of months. No amount of anything puts O2 in the soil. Corn was stressed at the wrong times with too much water.

There are millions of acres that are going to be a sobering wake up call when combines roll

My good corn that looks pretty dang good from the road is variable and has shallow kernel set. Kernel counts range from good to bad and every field has areas that look like these pics

I got corn that looks like 200 bushel corn from the road that will struggle to make 100 and corn like this that looks rough but you figure 60-80 and it will be 10-20

Enjoy
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Marketeye. You asked for it. Might wanna set down

Nice pics Tiger, I have some of the best looking crops I have ever raised, at least up until now. When the heavy rains started I forward sold some corn for $3.50 thinking I was getting a good price while the market was hot.... Then I took a couple trips through Indiana, I havent foward sold any more.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

The world is awash in corn   @copyright elcheapo 2015

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Have seen you post a lot better cobs over the years, Mizzou...  Sorry about all you have been through this year.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Mizzou_Tiger,

Thanks for sharing the photos. Sorry to see you have tough growing conditions, this year.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos