cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Marketing Plan

I used to have a pretty active marketing plan that I followed pretty closely.  The last few years, I've been winging it.  I guess I'm going to keep on winging it because I haven't seen anything that I can see to be a consistent winnter.  A little bit of seasonal, a little cash flow, a little storage anxiety, a little available shipping time and pretty soon the bin is empty.  Don't worry, be happy.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Marketing Plan

My marketing plan has been shot all to @$#% the last four years due to the weather ... hard to market something you can't grow much of.  Farming river bottoms in SW/SC Ioway has been less than satisfying, This year turned upside down two Saturdays ago. (flooded again)

This has evolved into my current marketing scheme...

1) plant it

2) grow it

3) bin it

4) sell it

in that order.

0 Kudos
giolucas
Veteran Advisor

Hobby,

at least you have a marketing plan!!

0 Kudos
rusureofit
Frequent Contributor

My parents and my grandparents and my great grandparents, planted it  then harvested the crop and then...marketed it......It wasn't until the Market guru's and the CBOT and all those selling options and advice came along that we were told to change to marketing what we haven't grown or even planted yet....I think maybe my ancestors had a great plan........after all it worked for them and they retired with cash in the bank.

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

cashed in one trailer load of beans this afternoon ... just means there will not be as many $17 at my place later this summerSmiley Wink

0 Kudos