Frequent Contributor

Re: Marketing - The Wisdom Of The Crowd?

Want to gripe to someone? Gripe right here to producers who rent and buy land at costs that in no way can be penciled out raising the cost of land for everyone. Gripe to the equipment dealers that have 300% markups on parts and are producing tractors that require you to call them when it needs fixed charging billable shop hours that are 8 times what they pay the mechanic, gripe to your seed vendors about the price of seed and gripe to your fertilize and chem dealer about the price of fertilizer and chemicals. Want someone to keep honest? Call your state fertilizer inspector to spot check fertilizer you've purchased. Out of all that I've mentioned the market seems to me to be the most honest of all!
Frequent Contributor

I bought a combine this year from a John Deere dealership in Missouri a 7720 titan 2 flew out to look at it and bought it. We don't have those old of machines in my area in that good of condition so when I buy equipment I have to travel.
The salesman told me that him and some other salesmen were wondering why I would travel that far for a combine that old. My answer to him was that I didn't need shade tree mechanics hired by John Deere charging me 120 an hour to keep it running. With one more machine in the same condition as the one I bought I would feel comfortable harvesting one thousand acres a year easily So why would I want to spend 240,000 on a new machine even if I had the land to use it on? And what makes that machine worth what they charge for it? It's worth that because they say it is. At the end of John Deere fiscal year this year, they reported a record profit for the year! A record profit in one of the biggest agricultural economic downturns since the 80's. Hmm.
Frequent Contributor

What about the factory worker at John Deere? I was told that up until the late 90s it was the job to have by someone who lived close to one. Now they have less job security than a seasonal migrant worker according to what I was told. Nothing. It layoffs every year.
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

the wisdom of the crowd may work in a game show on tv.

The Market to Market show had four of the "crowd" on a while back, 75% of the panel of four were absolute bears, the sky is falling type. .

Very nice rally since then. Brazil is still shut down country wide including the major export ports AND their soy crushers for their own livestock production. This time even the grocery stores are getting empty shelves.

Their winter corn crop just got down graded/reduced in size again. 

Our "massive" over supply is only 45 days of usage, it is getting whittled away.

My advice is to stay away from the crowds except maybe for purely entertaining laughs and giggles.

The crowd or masses have few if any reserves, is that really where you want/desire to be?

Just in time delivery didn't work out too good for Ford last month when one supplier had a fire, shut down their pickup production plants, sent their workers home for a while. Oops didn't teach that in those fancy back east schools did they?

Very fine line between a crowd and a mob. Kinda like when you can't see the forest cause the trees keep getting on the way...

Frequent Contributor

Hobbyfarmer, where do you find your most trusted news from when it comes to South America and other foreign countries? This is where I faulter big time! Finding up to date accurate unbiased foreign news.
Honored Advisor

Lots of looking and if you're really dedicated there are subscription services out there for about $4000 a year that seem pretty good.

Not as easy as it was, I'm still searching ...

No one spot...

Frequent Contributor

I'm not that dedicated. I like free!