cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Marketing opportunity

man-turn-head.gif

Not to be found.... But of course the markets don't care about your survival..

Can you guess where 2016 will fall in the Kansas farm income data?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Marketing opportunity

I attended a chemical, fertilizer, seed lunch today, good three hr infomercial.

Very first slide and info was about how and where to try to get financing for inputs when you hit you limitation at your conventional credit source and the lead time needed.

I asked after the meeting was over if things were really so bad as to have that as the lead topic. I was assured it is worse than that.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I hear hints from the local banker and the local extension farm manager but nothing very specific and I haven't seen any evidence personally.  It's hard to know what to belive.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

"markets can stay irrational longer than market participants can stay solvent"

Honored Advisor

VanRe: Marketing opportunity

:

(image.jpeg)

(image.jpeg)

(image.jpeg

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I will only offer what I have experienced firsthand dealing with the two financial institutions I have been involved with for 25 years.

1. Both have stated they are dealing with more insolvent accounts then they have for several years.
2. Younger clients have not been able to accommodate the lifestyle(personal+agricultural) that is needed to sustain another year or two of depressed commodity prices.
3. I have had to provide more detailed financial information than I have ever provided in over 25 years of farming. Obviously these financial institutions are nervous and trying to dot all the i's and cross all the t's before approving loans.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

hobby, remember when the sellers of chemicals and seed, just carried stuff untill harvest ?

I find it somewhat distastefull, they they are having a meeting, about their products, which they making a profit on, not willing to

carry the note, at normal and accepted interest rates, and are telling you where you can get the money to pay them ???

i understand in the last 2 weeks i've did a cardic stress test, nuclear profusion test, and colonscopy, and still tired, radioactive and sore.......but still the above strikes

me odd, and not right .

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

looking at SW' s bar chart and all the boom time year's, seems awfully quick for so many to be upside down.

Even in the eighties many made money, the really discouraging times were the late nineties with corn starting with a $1., fat hogs less than $20 for the whole hog.

There were few frills times, few less than 40 years old now could or would weather that kind of environment.

Compared to those "good ol days" this is still a walk in the park. I do see some approaching dark clouds and hear some distant thunder.

I grew up on a farm that had one dairy type cow that had to be,hand squeezed twice a  day for the milk supply. well the milk was strained through a dish towel put in a gallon large top jar put in the fridge, next day the cream had risen and was skimmed off. Not a large portion but usually an inch and a halfish. 

My best guess  is we are about to see a "skimming"  of what is considered by the likes  of the editors of publications such as the host of this website as the "cream" of the crop.

What'll be left will just be the 80% of us boring worker bee's,. the problem is most of us are white topped and getting toward  the  last page of our calender.

This would help with the conversion of farmers  to just growers...

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Elcheapo, I feel for you and those tests ...been there done some of them...never ever again.

Now to your question, maybe in some areas  that is common or accepted practice. Not in this area that I know of, but  I 've never been on a coop board either.

You know of Sims at Osborn, the meeting I went to was put on by the Iowa equivalent. most times they are $10 or more dollars an acre cheaper than the local retailers. cash and carry. I prefer to spend those saved dollars on next year's inputs.

You and I are at the opposite ends of things even though we are almost the same age.

My training and subsequent thought pattern was to produce enough to make the payments, some reasonable amount to raise a family and as in the real old days (when they put the best ears away to plant the next crop) have enough  to put in the next crop.

Farming is a tough business, if ones business model requires some of the various things you have

Written about including someone carrying your basic inputs every year even after you have been established for a considerable time, you are at considerable risk of failure and may want to do one of two things.

A) have a fundamental change of how you operate

B) have a retirement sale soon, don't keep doing the same old thing and expecting a different result.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Hobby you know the definition of insanity is
Doing the same thing, and expecting a different
Outcome..

(Opps....sounds like farmers are in trouble
Then !!).

I find it easy to get the money...the difficult thing is paying it back !!
0 Kudos