cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Meat packing plants & coronavirus, it ain't fix by a long shot.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/25/meat-industry-is-trying-get-back-normal-workers-a...

Paints a pretty dire picture of the situation, 11,000 infected, 63 dead & none of the big packers have it under control.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Meat packing plants & coronavirus, it ain't fix by a long shot.

As you may already know I haul hogs for a living. What I am seeing is producers starting to diversify the plants they send their hogs to for slaughter. Instead of producers sending all or most of their hogs to one or two local or regional facilities; producers are starting to make additional contracts with packing plants in different states in case an outbreak happens again.  

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

That is a total lie .......  

The article is not representative of the truth in any form.    As the article itself written in the washington post says, "Washington Post analysis of news reports and public records" reach this conclusion .......... 

A positive test does not mean the person has the virus or is contagious.  The post knows that yet continues to spin the lie and create false data to fear monger the public.....It is criminal.... 

So lets run the tests on UPS drivers and count the new positive results the same way, or any other group in any location.... the virus has been around long enough to have been through most communities........ It is not a way to find outbreaks of sickness.    because there are no outbreaks in beef packing towns........ we continue to wait for the outbreaks of sickness.  We had 400 new cases in a in a county that has had very few symptoms or sick patients, only because we tested.  The kniving political "post" equates a positive test to a sick person when they know better, ...... Have the respirators been rushed to denver hospitals because of the onslaught of sick victoms from Greeley.... Have hospitals in Liberal, Ks, or Garden City or Amarillo or Dumas texas been over run with cronics on respirators???  Of course not...... its the post hoax.   My bet is if you ran tests on every person working for Amazon in California,  we would find new big outbreaks according to "post" annnnalysis.    

Or lets get creative ---- lets test every person on the street with a mask on.....  then three days later test every person on the same street without a mask and see which group has the most positive cases ---- Following the Post analysis we will find massive outbreaks.      Only if your righting false naratives for a national enquirer rag.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Personally I think every public employee on the federal and state level should be tested..   And any one person yelling at someone while wearing a mask.... or anyone who might be considered "politically"  active or hateful.  

See Rick, the truth is still hidden by the press.    Using this crisis before it gets away from us is most important.

It is just plain and simple "targeting" by test and innuendo..

You champions of civil liberties are the first to go out and destroy civil liberties.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Quote: "A positive test does not mean the person has the virus or is contagious. " I'm sorry but unless it's an antibody test, a "positive test" means exactly that "the person has the virus and is contagious".  Believe it.

And yes, everybody probably should be tested.  In Wuhan City they tested all 11 million and found 188 positives, only one was symptomatic.  In this state & county, any essential worker, including farmers, can get a free test just for asking at twice-weekly clinics, if you have any reason to believe you may have been exposed or just want to be tested.   You only have to call and make an appointment so as to minimize congestion at the clinic.

And people are dying, at least 100, 000 so far.  Just because you haven't been affected doesn't mean you won't be.  I do know of people who have been sickened and died, two families now.

This is a highly contagious disease spread by asymptomatic carriers that is easily spread by close contact.  As for mask shaming, it goes both ways.  There are plenty of stories where store employees are being beaten for simply asking a customer to wear a mask.  As for "personal liberties", with personal liberty comes personal responsibility, the responsibility to respect your fellow citizens enough to do what you can to protect them from harm, even if it's a little inconvenient.

Now is simply not the time for false pride and insist on your right to act irresponsibly.  The virus doesn't care one little bit about your misplaced political ideology.

By the way, if you read the article you'll see that it's the meatpackers themselves that acknowledge they're in trouble.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Reader

Better yet, test the test!   Some leaders are way smarter than others and it is too bad we have to look afar to find one.

https://maga.black/articles/brilliant-president-of-tanzania-didn-t-trust-who-so-sent-samples-of-shee...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Some of the early tests that weren't very reliable were more prone to false negatives than positives. A bigger problem.

Other than saying that we shouldn't talk about this because it is bad for business, I don't know what to say.

This was, like the entire USA effort at the Federal level, a train wreck that you could see coming from miles down the track.

Now we're furiously rewriting history or pretending it doesn't exist.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Since ethical, moral and public health concerns aren't exactly the coin of the realm around these parts, I'll offer that the packing worker population is likely to be the first to attain that coveted herd immunity status. And being mostly a healthy, younger population, will suffer an "acceptable" level of mortality.

Reminds me of the historical fact that slaves in the south brought higher value at auction if they had been proven to have survived Yellow Fever.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Terminology update

Out over the weekend from the current administration’s econ wonks:

Human capital

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Terminology update

Particularly in the more pestilential places like the delta, the premium for yellow fever hardened slaves could be 50 pct or more.

0 Kudos