cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Mega Millions Marketing

Well, I bought my tickets, when it gets close to $1 billion, it`s finally worth playing   Smiley Happy  I know a guy at Owatonna that`s sensible and plays occasionally and said the Kwiky Mart up there and I guess it was nuts with neer-do-wells  buying tickets a $200 a pop.  Math isn`t some of these people`s strong suit, a guy said "if I win i`ll give everyone in town each  $1 million....what is there 70,000 people here?"  I laughed and said no, more like 20,000.  After taxes and stuff you might get $400 million, so he could give 400 people each $1 million.  

But if I win tonight, i`ll give some to my Lutheran church, some to the ASPCA animal shelters, Salvation Army, Wounded Warriors, Shriners Kids and the NRA.  Probably buy 2,000 acres in Grundy county and a ranchette near Yosemite.

6 Replies
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Re: Mega Millions Marketing

Next week it could be the Billion Plus range. 

If so that might be getting to a new record high $$$lotto. 

0 Kudos
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Remember the old joke about the ...

Remember the old joke about the farmer who won the million-dollar lottery.  This was back when a million dollars was real money.

When they asked him what he was going to do now, he responded, "I guess I'll just keep farming until the money runs out."

0 Kudos
bruce MN
Advisor

Growing up the only “lottery” that we knew of was The Irish Sweepstakes, Which was the eventual model for all of these now.

Old joke among us Swedes in the community about the Norwegian guy who won the Norwegian Million Dollar Lottery. Prize was to be paid out at a dollar a year for a million years.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

"Norwegian lottery" Smiley Very Happy   I like that.   One day the lottery will be in the billions as Mark Wright says and so big that a lump sum, after taxes will be $1 billion net.   I`ve heard that there`s investment groups that buy millions of dollars in tickets and I`m sure use computers algorithms for a edge, but you never hear them winning.   The winner is usually a construction worker from New Jersey.  The east coast seems to always have the corner on the winners and i imagine because they play the most and the biggest volume of tickets sold there.  Iowa Minnesota rarely if ever have a big winner (that i recall anyway).

I like to look at it as a dream for a few hours, you won`t win unless you play, the way i limit myself is wait until it gets close to $1 billion, I haven`t played in a couple years.  To be honest, it is a "tax on poor people" maybe this time one of us out of 300 million will escape and win, but the odds are against it.

I would still farm if I won, but not many thousands of acres, just enough that i`d mostly handle it myself, not take land away from anyone.  It would be really sweet to have the money to buy new equipment and not have to fix and leave broken machinery in the back of the shed until there`s funds to fix it.  (which takes quite awhile selling $3 corn and $8 beans).

To keep the thread with marketing, I`d store grain and build bins until the price rose to the levels I want.  sometimes it might mean storing 3 or 4 years, but if you have the money, make the market come to you and then dump it big time!

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

To show how little I know about gambling.  I matched one ball and the Mega Ball "24" and I have the Megaplier so I think I won 8 bucks.  I paid $6 for 2 draws.   i`ll have `em run it through the machine tomorrow  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Bruce thats a great joke..........But wouldn't work in the US.

If they gave it out for even a 100 year time, farmers would never have to pay tax on it

The Irs would probably want to collect all the tax the first year and then the remainder at $1 a year until its gone.

The US residents would not buy the tickets because they all have the first 50,000 years out on a credit card.

Thats a great story could it be enhanced by doubling the ticket sales by doubling the payout years?

0 Kudos