cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Mike a message........ connection to agriculture....and listening to agriculture.

Thank you for the presentations of the interviews with the Extreme ag group.... 

I know that it is probably just a pandering to advertisers and I might not like all that that entails.  But the shear vision of a publishing icon communicating with actual producers and being concerned about their conditions and opinions has a great feel to it.  After a near 2 decades of us all listening to media speaking down to the readers and claiming that only connections to commodity supply and demand is the word of usda or the Chinese communist party through their puppet news agencies(neither of which plant or consume the commodities they claim expertise over)

Lets remember that exports represent less than 30% of the commodity market in the US.  It is a breath of fresh air when we communicate and glean information from those actually participating in the game instead of needing a government agency to tell us if the wind blows in Iowa.  I read those words days after Iowa was devastated last August. "

Why USDA Won’t Know Extent of Iowa Damage Until January.... Pro Farmer

"You won't know how damaged the crops are till you actually harvest it," said Funk, director of Farm Bureau's agriculture analytics and research.

David Swenson, an ISU economist, said government officials tend to set early damage estimates high....."It's an aspirational number that may or may not be grounded in actual damages," Swenson said. "The bulk of the damage is agricultural, and if that's the case, it's a little silly."---Des Moines Register. 

There are many examples of the media work that turns off readers by quoting folks who have tenure over risk and no experience.   A few quotes from crop scouts, elevator managers, and producers with skin in the game, quickly after the damage would have been accurate and appealing to the reader.  Many of us are sick of hearing from the lobbyist organization in DC, or the marketer who checks the weather when he leaves his parking garage at the office building for "information concerning the farm". Even the absentee farmers who inherited their interest want to here from the actual farm.  That is what I love about this article....No third party opinions saying the actual workers are not smart enough to know what is happening to them.

I hope this came across as intended....... complimentary.

5 Replies
k-289
Senior Advisor

Re: Mike a message........ connection to agriculture....and listening to agriculture.

SW -  are  you  speaking  about  No  Cow  Boys  Allowed  - ? 

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Re: Mike a message........ connection to agriculture....and listening to agriculture.

OR   the  ''' seeds '''  of  Mead  Nebraska  situation  -  ?  

0 Kudos
ddtfarm1
Veteran Contributor

SW, Sounds like you lack some love and appreciation coming your way. I hope you have a dog or something that you can hold in your lap, that will lick your face, and whatever, so you feel appreciated. It seems a bit odd to hear from the farmer crowd when you see numerous rural pickup truck bumper stickers from the  trump era suggesting demoralized folks should just "Fxxk your feelings" regarding the way things had turned out. Feeling unappreciated, get used to it. 

0 Kudos
nitefarm
Advisor

Just keep up the stupid remarks and let’s see how many more people we can get to leave this site. 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I’ll try to hold myself to the articles I don’t like in the future

0 Kudos