cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnQ
Frequent Contributor

Mike, move east and south a bit in IL and you'll have a MUCH different slide show.

I know there are dry spots in IL (but arguably don't look that bad) but wow, if you'd have landed in our area (less than 60-70 miles away) you'd have been surprised. Our area and a awfully big radius is FULL of water and headed toward possibly our best stuff in a LONG time. We've had rain nearly every week in July with out biggest "dry spell" being 10 days. 

Thanks for the input and pics though. I don't think we can ever have too much information, good or bad (although people HATE it when one posts about good/great crops. Smiley Happy  Not bragging or anything and feel bad for the 'have nots".  We were there last year and it's no fun. I might put up pics later but won't be able to dig much. Too muddy here!!!

Bash away!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
hanktbd
Senior Contributor

Re: Mike, move east and south a bit in IL and you'll have a MUCH different slide show.

JohQ, I could see those big storms from our deck down toward Decater the past few weeks, but unfortunately 30 miles every direction from me looks like Mike's Eureka field, although we have gotten about a half inch today which may have been the biggest rain this month. Some fields (the ones with lighter soil, compaction, or too much N loss) are already hurt some and the rest are on the edge of starting to tip back. Send some of that excess back up our way if you can.

0 Kudos
Sillinoisfarmer
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mike, move east and south a bit in IL and you'll have a MUCH different slide show.

Not to bash at all but you don't have to travel too far south of Route 16 in Illinois to find a crop that will not make top yields.  I know that we don't grow as much South of that line but we are a part of the whole and when you are not firing on all cylinders it is hard to win the race of top yield production.  Problem is how much is really going to be out there and how do you market it?  Many have sold for a price (and one that you are above break even on is a good price), only  to watch that price rise as much as three bucks higher.  I think that a lot of farmers would have already pulled the trigger but it is hard to do when you have to buy back a contract or would have been money ahead to sell it off the combine.  Can anyone on here imagine what the price will be if we have an early frost like we had back in 1974?  Prices were good but we did not have Jack Squat to sell that year.  The old adage comes to mind "when everyone is selling you want to be buying, and when everyone is buying you want to be selling".  In January we will find out if these market forces were presenescent or the "little boy who cried wolf".

0 Kudos
JohnQ
Frequent Contributor

@hanktbd wrote:

JohQ, I could see those big storms from our deck down toward Decater the past few weeks, but unfortunately 30 miles every direction from me looks like Mike's Eureka field, although we have gotten about a half inch today which may have been the biggest rain this month. Some fields (the ones with lighter soil, compaction, or too much N loss) are already hurt some and the rest are on the edge of starting to tip back. Send some of that excess back up our way if you can.

Conversely, 30 miles (and much more) in all directions here look just about like us, sitting pretty. :smileyhappy:  I know how ya feel watching it rain not far away. Been there, done that. We had our worst year EVER last year here. 

Be happy to send some your way as we're good to go. Got another half today that we absolutely didn't even need (but we'll take it). That doesn't happen too often in July! 

It's just nuts how green everything is in these parts compared to last year. Corn is DARK green and pollinated to perfection with 33.5 plus stands. A few low spots will ding us a little but they won't take much off of whole field averages. 

I get a kick out of the people who were crying about the dome of doom heat wave we were going to have several weeks ago. Now the same people are whining about how it's too cool!! lol   Typical farmers eh? :smileyhappy:  

0 Kudos
giolucas
Veteran Advisor

Reality or not, prices continue to go down.

0 Kudos