cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

Missouri conditions update

Could it get any uglier??  Heard that two farmers one had plans for 2000 ac. beans and another I will guess around 1,000 and they each only have 1 field each planted.  Another farmer that farms I will guess 2,000 ac beans only has 240 planted.  Final plant day is June 20th and we got more rain today.  Beans that were planted April 23 are only 8-10 in. tall.  Now just to look at them you would say they look okay but when you look at the plant date they should be 24 in. not 8 in.   Where do these crop reports come from??  They called 49% of the beans in Mo. good to ex. and to be truthful I haven't seen one field of beans that even looks decent.  I am down to 140 ac. of beans to plant but may have to replant up to another 560 ac.  These beans are dying and have been stuck in the coteyledon stage now for over a week.  People are actually planning on mowing off their gardens when it dries up. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Missouri conditions update

Keep venting right here we all have been in that boat and hope your situation improves. JR

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Reader

It is about the same way in Southeastern Illinois. 60 miles north of me, the I 70 area has had rain. The April planted corn, some has already replanted and now are thinking they are going have to replant for the 3rd time. Very few beans have been planted. Went to Springfield, Il. Friday and was talking with one of my old tractor pulling buddy from east central Illinois and his crops are drowning from to much rain north of I 70 along I 57. Some of these areas has had up to 10 inches rain in the last 2 weeks. This is causing river flooding down stream for us now. There is alot of ponding in different areas here and all the way to Springfield, Il.  with corn 6 inches tall replanted to shoulder high in the same field.  Talking with my Pro Ag fieldman and he says, " there is alot of ground that has not been touch yet for soybeans. Most has been  trying to get their corn replanted." 

Just wondering if you take 6 or 8 counties here in Southeastern Illinois and you guys out there in Missouri and any other spots that are having problems, will the USDA stand by their numbers !!!!!!!!

I did finished May 31st with planting. Only had to replant 85 acres soybeans and spot in around 40 acres corn in different fields. Now we are just watching our bottom land to see what happens.  Maybe Lucky  can give us a report from his area.

Gonna try cutting wheat maybe Friday, going to the bin with it, so I can get my greedy beans in. Some wheat was cut before the rain here last night. Moisture running 15 to 19 %. Hearing yields of 50 to 70 for SRW. Just hope mine will make the expenses, to many low spots.

Take care ya'll and good luck with this year crops

Jr. 1066

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

More rain is coming tonight.  Severe storms from Kansas City to Rochester Minnesota.

What did farmers do before Crop Insurance...  Now wouldn't that have been a disaster...

What part of Missouri are you from?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Where I am in Missouri, the corn looks fairly good, some is in full tassle and silking, but most was put in too wet a lot of compaction and nitrogen lost.
Seriously wonder what stress of hot and dry weather will do to this corn.

Soybeans are mostly planted and up to a good stand, but, if it were not for herbicides, especially roundup, this crop would be a disaster as it is so wet that no one could cultivate that the weeds would practically destroy the crop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Central Mo.  just about 10 miles north of the Mo. river.  We farm along Grand River.  Was able to spray about 400 acres corn and beans today.  Side dressed 84 ac. corn with dry fert. yesterday.  Nobody able to plant yet.  We may have a few acres that will plant tomorrow pm.  Going to try anyway.  Most corn in this area 4 ft. or less.  Most looks sick and very few fields contain a real good population count. 

0 Kudos