cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Monday update

After a lower start last night,grains bounced back- as crude oil futures reversed and turned lower. The US stock market bounced back- the crisis in the Egypt and the mid east is not over but some stabilty will help grain prices recover from the sell off on Friday. I have been checking on fall 2011 fertlizer costs for the 2012 crops, it is not available all over yet and is up from what we paid in the fall of 2010, but with $5.30 to $5.40 December 2012 corn futures - it does work . I would like to know how much it is up in price in your area from last year and if it is available. I hope you all got the chance to view my project Against the Grain - we are looking for corporate sponsors.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Advisor

Re: Monday update

The agronomy manager at our coop told the directors that fall fertilizer  prices were not available. he said that no supplier would even guess at a quote. not sure what your project is, but fact checking would be critical. Price estimation would just "muddy the water".

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

as to your "project Against the Grain"......seeing as how i have no idea what your true intentions are i will try to speak only to "reality shows" in general.

IMO, they are helping to dumb down our younger people here in the USA even more than the public school systems have managed thus far. even in the shows that aren't pushed to the limits with constant vulgarity spewing from the shows cast, or the consistent animosity/arguments between certain cast members..........they seem to zero in on any typical stereotype deemed "radical" by modern society and portray the "actor(s)" in as poor of fashion as possible. 97% of the "reality shows" shown to date have done nothing but reassure their viewers that this country is now made up mostly of uneducated, unsocial & uncultured vagabonds!

take the "Ax Men" series, how that Father & Son team up in the NW can allow themselves to be recorded acting as they do a good majority of their air time.......is completely beyond me? that has to be an "act", or scripted cause whom would work for such employers that talk to each other and their employees in such a manner? i mean, have a little respect for oneself if no one else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now for one comment to your "project", in one of the clips it showed a guy kicking the corn header PTO drive shaft and making a comment about something being broke? i can only speculate as to what direction that scene was headed and it did not look to be uplifting of the character in question????

in all honesty, i hope "your project" never makes to the air waves cause just the mention of the term "reality show" connected to the American Farmer in anyway can not be good for our image.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I know doesn't it just frost you aroundonce.  You would think you have seen it all the first time around!  Guess you must go around again.  All seriousness aside,  why is big Al here?  He is getting to hock his services here when venders are supposed to be kept out.  Has the traffic fallen off so much they need to get a hired gun to boost viewership. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

We certainly welcome Al's comments here. He has a great following in Successful Farming, and here on the board, too. As far as boosting viewership, well, yes, that's always a goal if the increased traffic is useful to farmers here.  Thanks for the input. -- John

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Once I gotta admitt I thought the TV show wasn't the best deal not for your reasons But I think that where theywere headed wasn't the image that most want portrayed about farmers. Having said that it will prolly be a big hit. As to big al on here I don't mind. seems a few more could discuss and not make room for him if you peased. BUt what do I know. I am goin out tofight the wind and snow and milk and feed cows for the next week from hell!

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I've always made the joke that most marketing gurus that spend alot of time speaking or writing for magazines are really just in the entertainment business, but I looks like I wasn't too far off.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos