cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

More Talk of Another Farm Payment

Farmers want trade not aid, I know. Economists wonder if the USDA market price for soybeans is really set or not.

A White House aide whispered into a newsreporter's ear, yesterday, that Trump is prepared to offer up more aid for financially struggling farmers.

But, USDA Secretary Sonny Perdue told this reporter to hold the phone.

Full story:  More Farm Aid Is A Miscommunication, USDA's Perdue says

Personally, I've been told that these farm payments hurt the grain markets. Here's why:  When farmers know that they are getting more assistance, they continue to hold onto stored crop that eventually will be thrown onto the market at once. It's the last part of that statement that hurts the market.

What say you?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: More Talk of Another Farm Payment

More debt for the next generations
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Make trump and assoc pay Big

Send Every Farmer  $120k.

well call iit trump freedom to farm act.

and next year send Every Farmer another $120k. 

Trump is terrible for Agri...what a Wreck.

using foodstuffs as a bully tactic re china or anyone else is Bad Business.

Its certainly Not an art of the deal way to Deal. MO

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Farm payments hurt grain prices ?

Everyone happy but farmers

Lower grain prices mean lower feed costs,
Cheaper inputs for mills and ethanol plants.

Do you really think the payments lowered
Prices ...

"Oh...so the farmers are going to get a payment
So lower the grains". or. " Gee, the farmers have
It tough...so let's not lower the grain prices"
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Make trump and assoc pay Big

Weeeelll, you know 20-30yrs ago when we thought it was smart to send our factories overseas and the US workers lost their living wage jobs and replaced them with part time "Dollar General jobs" the taxpayer has to subsidize those below cost of living incomes.  Yeah, you don`t hear about the 10`s of millions of living wage jobs gone and the literal Trillions of dollars spent on social entitlements to make up the difference of a Walmart shelf stocker  from a steelworker.  

China was happy to allow us to run those $400 Billion annual trade deficits (I don`t call that a friendly nation) that was wealth leaving the United States.  Yes, China threw a conniption and imposed tariffs on about the only thing that they buy from us, our ag products.    But look how whinny cry babies are reacting to the price drops, it`s very evident that "this" was truly the last chance to right this ship before just throwing the keys lock, stock & barrel and sign over the deed to our country to China and other countries.

If sending a check to farmers will get us over this rough patch, it`s far from the dumbest money spent.   Like I say, what about the welfare and "earned income tax credits" that have been spent to allow factories to be off-shored?  now I call that stupid spending over the last 30 years.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Make trump and assoc pay Big

Farmers getting checks from the government again? Well somewhere around 40% of that money gets paid back to the federal government.  A percentage goes to state governments. Another percentage goes to local (school district) government.  The rest is reinvested by the farmers in the local economy.  Plus, it helps keep farmers in business assuring the bountiful and cheap food supply continues for the rest of the country and world.  Seems to me that the American people get a lot of bang for their buck that is spent to aid farmers.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Amen
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

how true
0 Kudos