cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsbs
Senior Advisor

More rain...more grain

Outside of a three week extremely dry stretch where my pivots probably earned their keep, this 2022 season is shaping up to be a pretty decent year for corn and soybean production in my area. 

Been spraying for aphids, grasshoppers, etc. and fungicides to protect what looks like a pretty fantastic soybean crop coming. Last night we were blessed with another big rain event....so we have had a 3 inch rain, a 2 inch rain, and now another inch plus event after being tested with a long dry stretch.

Just about perfect timing, and my regret right now is not contracting new crop corn for $7.25 and new crop beans for $15.  Hindsight is always 20-20......we could have been looking at a short crop, $10-$12 corn and $25 soybeans.

Grains still look to be a bargain for end users. I would suspect that any hic-ups in yields or harvesting will start a fall rally that may take us back to spring highs. I sure hope so!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: More rain...more grain

Fired to the nubbin on the corn side a nd beans were aborting pods.

Cows being hayed around here. Every class of CRP was released.

Trees still shedding leaves.

Fed crop adjuster on speed dial.

Life is interesting as always down here in South Podunk Country.

0 Kudos
rsbs
Senior Advisor

Hobby, you were getting plenty of rain early, right? we are lucky to have the inverse....droughty stretch early followed by rains you could not program any better. How about your river bottoms....do they have heavy enough soil to retain the moisture and get enhanced yields when the droughts hit?

It is never uniform....I am lucky to be in a part of Minnesota...south central....that seems to be the Goldilocks place this year. That is what the DSM's for the seed companies are telling me. I don't get out that much.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

60+ days of no rain and weeks of 90+° days and hot winds and the best soils struggle.

0 Kudos