Honored Advisor

More than likely.......

........there will be no planting in my neck of the woods next week.  The ground was barely dry on top in places earlier today and really wet under the top layer,  but now it's raining again. They are forecasting about three days next week without rain and warmer temps. However in between those days are more chances for rain.  We are now looking towards the last part of May just to get started. 

Of course you all realize that if, (and that's a big if), the grain market takes notice and prices go somewhat higher, consumer prices for food will rise and ethanol will get the blame.  These food companies are chomping at the bit for a reason to raise prices.   

It doesn't matter who has been  in the oval office for the past many years, the one constant is the USDA's ability to keep the food plentiful and inexpensive.  They may get blamed for inaccurate and questionable reporting, but they are darn good at keeping the prices that farmers receive in check. 

Honored Advisor

Re: More than likely.......

Sorry for what you`re going through Roarin`.   i`ve got a muck type soil that`s in that boat, puddles of water standing on top of $15,000 in newly tiled lines, that top foot is juicy, if you dig down past the messed up top layer it`s good to good.  You can push a 4 foot tile probe down to the handle without much effort, so it isn`t traditional "plow pan" ...just needs sun, wind and +70 degree temperatures to evaporate the top.   Just glad that field is in my "worthless soybean" rotation this year   Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

I got 65 acres planted Monday-Tuesday before we got another inch here. Ground has 3-6% slope, and is tiled, mainly to try to reduce erosion from over-saturation. But I was the only one going, and checking all my other fields, there isn't one that I could make a single end-to-end pass on. I agree that we need some heat!! I planted into 44 degree soil. We'll see if that ends being a good decision or not.

Honored Advisor

I can now safely say that there will be no planting at all in this area of NW Ohio for the rest of this week. Light showers yesterday followed by moderate steady rain this morning.  There have been a few fields sprayed....probably less than 10% and nothing else done.   Plus, there is very little incentive to mud this crop in.   At least I can still return my seed corn.  They've had my money for 6 months, I highly doubt they will pay me interest.  

Veteran Contributor

roarintiger, this seems to be the perfect storm for prevent plant insurance in my opinion. Large price drop since February, not much incentive to go with soybeans either.