cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Morning weather update

Morning All.  Almost 4 inches - the amount in my rain gauge this morning. Most of MN got a good drink last night.  That should finish us out here.  We don't need rain and our crop is made.

The Gulf right now is wide open, and funneling a lot of moisture into the Midwest.  The storms are firing along and in front of the jet stream.  There really isn't a lot of uplift coming from the small Low and trailing cold front that will go from Southern WI tonight and drapes to the SW across IA and down to W OK.

Forecast maps are showing what I see for rain, with one exception.  I think they have the area of forecast rainfall going a little to far South.   Here's the 5-7 day forecast map:160811Rain.gif

It looks like there will be a very sharp decline in rainfall south of the OH River Valley.  The above map shows the steep decline in rain, but, I wouldn't draw it that far south.  I see the heavier rain through Central IL, Central IN, and N OH.   Otherwise, the graphic is probably not too bad.  

The radar map here overnight was really interesting.  This wasn't the rainfall event from a typical front moving through - at 2 am when I got up to look at it, it was a widespread event that ended up covering a large part of MN.  Green with pop up thunderstorms scattered around the state, that were moving pretty slow.   That's what I expect to see as this system moves east.

Also, I don't think this will produce the rainfall as it moves East as it did here.  The Gulf starts to shut off as we go into Saturday, and that is going to limit the amount of precip available in the atmosphere.  I still see a lot of 1 and 2 inch amounts.  Maybe some localized heavy rain, but not along a defined corridor like it shows in the graphic.  The graphic is more indicative of strong cold front moving through and dumping it's load of water vapor.  This event, like I described above, will continue to be a broad range event, slow moving, and areas could pick up a lot of rain if you get under a cloud that dumps on you.

That's it for today guys.....I hope a cloud finds your farm.

Jen

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Morning weather update

I'm hoping for a very small rain or even a miss, especially upstream.

0 Kudos
hardnox
Advisor

Sheesh.

I've been on the lookout for an August hurricane for some time but apparently all it took was a punky little unnamed TD. good deal, as nobody got wrecked- at least I hope no serious flooding up here, in the heart of the band.

I'm a little close to the edge of the big band so probably should shut up and keep my fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

I'll believe it when I see it here in NW Ohio.    Two days ago we were gonna get 5 inches.  Now, 1-2 inches.    I am figuring on 1-2 tenths.

The corn around here is already done.   Without significant rain, the soybeans are soon to follow.

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Hi RT.  When I looked at the wx a few days ago, I also saw the 1 -2 inches.  And, basically, that is what I said again this morning.  

But you all in Ohio have numerous chances, now looking like it might be over the next week.

I know our corn here is moving along rapidly.   We were going to take our motor home over to Wausau, WI to get some warrenty work done today, and stay overnight tonight at the farm we sold a few years ago, but the sweet corn in our garden in ripening so fast that we have to can what we can today because we might be gone over the weekend, depending on what we decide to do when we get done at King's Campers.

I'd be very surprised if this rain missed you, really.  But, like always, we'll see what the next few days bring.

Jen

0 Kudos
JCCWIS
Senior Contributor

Inch and a half this morn in Nort. Cent. Wi. ......Clark Co. This and possibly more forcast in 5 days or so will finish corn and beans. Got  stuck baling straw on Monday so right NOW we are full.up......any more will head for the river !

John

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Hi JC....Yeah, the stuff that came through us finally got to you early this morning, but it was really starting to peter out.  I think my former farm there by Spencer may have gotten a little, but like in past years it looked like maybe it pretty much stopped at the Marathon County line.  We'll see what happens tonight.

My brother in law down by Janesville has been a little drier that he has liked.  His crops are good, but he actually needs more rain yet.  This may be one of those systems though that rains heavily one night, takes a day to recharge, and then it rains hard the next night, skipping areas in between.  That seems to be what has happened down by Janesville, WI.  

Good to see you on here yet.  I'll be checking out my former farm tomorrow, and probably stay overnight in the yard there.  Have you heard the Brad is trying to sell the farm he bought from me, now that he has cut down all the trees and opened up 50 more acres of land?  Just wondering...

Jen

0 Kudos
JCCWIS
Senior Contributor

Jen.......Went North to see my son's new shop tonight.   Medford area got 3 to 5 inches this morn. Here at Unity in my guage...1.6 total.

Have not heard any rumors about your old farm......if true, new owner sure lost on the land clearing !!!!! All the dozer and hoe work.....lime and fert. required.....hard to get my head around that one !!

John

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Yeah - I know.  It wouldn't have been my choice.  I felt that I had all the land on that property that could/should've been farmed.  Besides, I really used to love seeing the herd of albino deer we had over there - was neat to see.  That's gone now.  Too bad.

I'm sure the mosquitoes over there are bad.  We'll find out tomorrow I guess.  I really hate skeets...

Jen

0 Kudos