cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Mother Nature bats last

North Iowa got pounded with hail, excessive rain (what else is new?) this afternoon.  Funny thing Buffalo Center not a drop all the way to Spirit Lake.  Corn looks good knee high to popcan high, funny though all the beans just cracking.  Cerro Gordo county got pounded, Clear Lake tornado, Nora Springs tornado.  Thompson Iowa, no shortage of misery.

Photos courtesy of Globe Gazette from Mason City Iowa 

https://globegazette.com/news/local/photos-and-videos-updated-reader-and-staff-images-from-june/coll...  

Mt Valley Township northeast of Forest City (4).jpg

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Mother Nature bats last

Mt Valley Township northeast of Forest City (3).jpg

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

We will be looking for a market for cooked
Wheat after tomorrow...forcast high 102...
Some getting close might be ok, otherwise...
Shriveled wheat with low test weight...I don't
Even want to know the dock.
0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I really wish you had some of this rain ElCheapo, it`s just nuts.  That I-90 corridor first had planting delays and just when you think it`s safe to peek your head out, Mother Nature blows it off. It`s hard to look at the markets and not have backyarditis but according to the gurus on USFR it`s "record this and above trend that" ...we`ll see.

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

After 3 plus weeks of almost no rain, I-80 near Iowa City got 2 inches in 2 days, pretty slow and easy.  Much appreciated.  Everyone is saying how spotty the rain is, but maybe it's always spotty.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Here on the Michigan/Indiana line we keep getting hammered with heavy rain. I got the last of my corn in the ground less than a week ago. Then we got nearly 3 inches of rain yesterday afternoon. A guy hates to curse the rain but flooded fields don't yield much. A potential issue we may have is next years seed corn. Im not far from what is often referred to as the seed corn capital of the world. My area produces 10% or more of the U.S seed corn supply.

0 Kudos
deasmatt90
Senior Contributor

What will all of this rain do to n content in the soil? Where I farm, 1 three inch rain event and you lose about 50%
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

elcheapo...... you were right on the money this last weekend in ks ----was brutal..... we saw knee high corn heat flashing top leaves in a few sw spots.  Brutal heat and wind.

We drove from the small hamlet of Des Moines to sw ks this weekend ..... lots of nice corn in about the same stage --"wanting to grow" in this heat.

I had to wonder how much it can take --- as we drove through.

Dodge city across 50hwy east was nice crops and the lowering of wheat acres is pretty obvious. 

Dodge west and sw is stressing for a variety of reasons but is there if the heat will back off.  

Wheat will not take much bin space.

0 Kudos