cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Moved some hogs this morning

A little north of 300lbs and they want more in a couple weeks, so that`s good.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: Moved some hogs this morning

BA, do you deliver.. if so I'll take one..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Seventy years ago, this won't be a problem.

This whole meat-processing safu reminds me of how it used to be.  My neighbor's father, back before WWII ran a butcher shop in town.  He killed a lot of cull dairy cows and local hogs but there were times when the supply just wasn't sufficient.  Back then beef  & hogs carcasses came from the Midwest as beef  & pork sides hanging in refrigerated railroad cars.  When a butcher or a grocery store need product, they'd go to the rail siding in a nearby city, buy what they needed, load into their station wagons or panel trucks, haul it home to their shop and break it down as needed.

In fact, it wasn't all that long ago when the industry went to boxed beef, etc and put the in-store meat cutter out of a job. In times past, a meat cutter was considered to be a good blue-collar job that paid a pretty good salary. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Hey BA remember those 225lb top hogs???? sure were a lot easier on your shins when it come loading time. When one got turned around you could just flip him over. Now when they stand on the back legs they are taller then you are.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Hey Ky-TOBDirt, I`d love to deliver, but how about I send these through Speedy, add feed and water and in about 6 months you`ll have the making of a BLT sandwich.   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

BA, I am moving pigs almost every morningSmiley Happy We are hauling lighter weight hogs so if a plant closure happens the farmer don't get too far behind and has to consider euthanasia. I like hauling these lighter weight 270 pounders compared to the 300+ pound fatties. I haul thousands of hogs and have noticed when they get over 310 pounds they seem to fall apart and I typically have more dead's. Cheers to a good sale!

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Hey Blacksandfarmer, I wonder if it`s because hogs are in confinement that they can`t handle being over 300lbs?   I`ve been in some barns lately that have really been over stocked in pens, if you didn`t know better you`s swear they were in a trailer instead of a barn.  Then feeders have been adjusted down, they really have to root to get feed out, I`m afraid they`ll bust up the feeders.  My check came today, should take care of a bill or 2 on the table  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos