Veteran Advisor

My Broker Says

My broker says trading has been a little lighter than usual in conjunction with the lack of USDA and other reports.

I guess that's understandable.

There is an awareness that with the publication of reports in the future, there could be some big market moves.

It's a good time for little guys like me to sit on the sidelines.

Veteran Advisor

Re: My Broker Says

[ Edited ]

It's amazing how the USDA reports always have it wrong, yet in their absence, the news is quite lacking.  This is a golden opportunity for everyone else to shine, yet it remains quite cloudy. The markets are still open, buyers/sellers still doing their things.  Are those "out of the loop" being taken advantage of in the meantime, due to lack of information flow?  Are key USDA employees still on the job and receiving information, and are they passing along any info to key players?  Are big market advisory services shut down?

Senior Contributor

It is ironic this lack of information never slows down the market from trading lower only higher. Usually in most situations the talk of no news is good news, how the Grains keep getting snubbed is just crazy. On a side note I’ve noticed 12 big market moves based on trump and China talks or rumors. Weather it was a tweet or report or rumored talks on the side. Well before the G20 summit I personally said it was all smoke and mirrors yet somehow every time a resolution is mentioned all markets react. Here we are end of January and yet news just in another tariff trade meeting canceled with China. Sure hope fellow farmers and traders are taking note of the money lost due to this debacle. Gl and stay safe out there ✌️
Honored Advisor

There will be some big winners and losers when the next report comes out.   Ladies and gentlemen, place your bets.   

Senior Contributor

Perhaps the safest bet is

Simply bet the over or under on a dated pool of estimates on when the govt will start publishing reports again.

Honored Advisor

It’s wise. To sit out if usda isn’t going to guarantee the moves for you. You might be wrong without them.