cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Re: My I-80 crop tour

Isc76cat, wow sounds like you are on quite the vacation! To be honest, I don't get up by Holland very often. I would say you could take 131 down to White Pigeon and see some crops, or stay along the lake shore until you get to Warren Dunes. Then take US 12 east a ways, and get a bit of a crop tour that way. I farm 3 or 4 miles north of I-80 on the Michigan/Indiana line.
0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Conclusion

Well, the crop tour is pretty much over for me. Yesterday we went to the AgPhD field day, it was a class act all the way, very nice farm show! Today we set out from Sioux Falls SD and headed east on I-90. As we went through southern Minnesota the crop looked good, but we did run into a couple dry pockets where at the tops of the hills the corn was firing a little at the bottom of the plant and beans were wilting some (nothing a good rain couldn't fix). Overall the Minnesota crop along I-90 looked about average from what I've seen in years past. As we turned south on I-35 from Albert Lea, I noticed a decent amount of yellow corn. It seems like we drove a good 50 miles or more seeing patchy yellow corn in NC Iowa, beans looked good though. If it weren't for the yellow corn in NC Iowa and some drowned out spots along the Missouri River in western IA, I would say Iowa's crop could break a record. We are on our way home and stopped in NC Illinois to do some hiking at one of the state parks. On our way here I noticed eastern Bureau county in Illinois seems to be the cutoff between the good and the bad crops in Illinois along I-80. So far this year I have toured parts of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Michigan, and I would say the crop as a whole is slightly below average. If Illinois looked as good as Iowa, I would think the good crop areas would offset the major problem spots in Indiana, Ohio, and Missouri. If I had to take a guess at the U.S. average corn yield, it would be 157 bu an acre, and beans aren't worth estimating at this time until we see what kind of August rains we get or don't get.
So there you have it, a farmers view of the U.S. Corn and soybean crop off the highway. Hope it helps a few. Thanks for reading!