cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: My crop tour

All this talk brings up another concern of mine: kernel depth.  Even on some of the ears that seem well filled, I have less than average kernel depth.  When I break an ear, there is more 'cob' than normal for the ear diameter.  I may have to lower my estimates down 10% or so, which is still in the 'just fine' range to slightly below average.  With prices where they are, it will still be a good year.

0 Kudos
John_Walter
Advisor

Curious what you see in photo below. These are ears from two different counties Illinois that were pulled as part of my  tour last week. One on right was from a field north of Champaign--good-looking field, ear pretty well filled out. The other, on left, may have been more typical, though, of area east of Champaign, Edgar County, I believe.  Is this contrast what you mean by "depth?"  Thanks. -- John

p.s.--Not sure the photos quite capture the contrast, so pulled typical kernel off each in second image.

photo3.JPG

photo.JPG

0 Kudos
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

How much of the cob size is determined by genetics?

I remember when whole cobs were picked and cribbed, some varieties filled the crib quickly but others filled the bin fuller.

0 Kudos
John_Walter
Advisor

Editing those ears

In the kernel photo comparison, I had those ears turned around. Now I have it right. Jeepers, must be Monday morning....

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Editing those ears

Yes, that is what I mean, the kernels aren't as long as normal.

When I pull an ear from the field, even a tipped back one, it appears to be 'girthy', or fairly big around.  However, when I break the ear open, there is more 'cob' than I am used to seeing, or, more accurately, less 'kernel'.  An ear that from diameter, looks like it should have 16 rows of normal kernels, instead has 18 rows of shallow kernels, and a large cob.  If conditions were such that those 18 rows would be of normal depth, I'd be adding 10% to my yield, instead of wondering if I should be subtracting 10%.  Test weight can make up that much difference, as well.  61 or 62 lb corn helps a lot.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Beware of the old seed salesmen's trick, of breaking an ear, and only showing you the one half. When you break an ear, for some reason the way the cob comes apart, one half of the ear looks like it has very deep kernals...the other half looks pretty short. It's just an old trick I heard about once..and I've proved to myself over the years....

0 Kudos