cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
north ia farmer
Frequent Contributor

NIA update

I would say 85% of the corn is in the ground and just a few soybeans.We are having the cool temps this weekend but sounds like a big warm up Tueday with rain off and on.We sure can use the moisture as we have been very dry.Some of our early planted corn is just about to pop it's head out.I would say with the soybean price increase there maybe a few coc acres going to soybeans but very little.Overall as of today things look like we are on to a bin busting crop here in NIA if we can keep getting these 1/2 to 1" rain events.Looking like one of them yrs our 2012 corn could be worth $8 or $4 as the acres will be there but all weather.  

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Re: NIA update

Well since the S part of IA is ahead of the N part........and you claim 85 percent......that means tomorrows number for IA should be at least 95 percent........

Seriously......probably closer to half that........or less.......
0 Kudos
north ia farmer
Frequent Contributor

hey tiger,i really don't give a **bleep** what you think or know or what # they come out with but I would say NIA is 85% done with corn.IMO anyone that drives a BLUE tractor has rocks upstairs.

0 Kudos
Mike central IA
Veteran Contributor

Quite a few acres of corn to go in yet in central IA, I won't venture a guess, but I imagine it is quite a bit more than 15% left. I don't imagine much will be done this week as well in central IA. Corn planting progress has been limited a small amount by rain events.

I think I will just keep using MY blue tractor, it has done a good job on this farm, and has been very cost effective. No one else's approval is required.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

My , my, my, I have two 200ish hp Yellow tractors (one US one European) and one 200ish hp gold one and a metalflake 90 hp mfd Oliver green colored one and I have not even had any weather in the last two weeks to go get the planter out of the storage shed and looks like going to be some time before it is fit around these parts. I need five days AFTER it dries up.

Five years in a row of this swamp weather at planting.

0 Kudos
nwiafmr
Frequent Contributor

Doubt that half of the corn is planted in this area.   Only four days at most last week were suitable for planting.   I don't have a "blue" tractor, but there are a lot of "blue" tractors around in this area......and even more "blue" planters....!   I wouldn't say "blue" tractor owners have rocks in their heads.........

0 Kudos
dennymal
Veteran Contributor

A lot of guys are done here NC Iowa. A lot of guys with larger acreages to plant are 1 to 2 days of finishing. I'm in this category. After 31/2 days of hard running I have about a day left. I would estimate 70-75 percent planted.

0 Kudos
jec22
Veteran Advisor

NIA, if you used a blue tractor your wife might have that new house you promised her years ago Smiley Happy

And here I was thinking MT should have asked for ad revenues from FNH and Kinze for posting those pictures.  When MT talks, people listen.  I was thinking I need a few of his rocks. I am more worried about Vrbuck these days.

With Informa's SA bean estimate out, if correct, totally agrees with my thoughts that the ports are closed for more shipments because they oversold their supply.  That magnifies the S&D problem. Might make MT calls on soybean sales a little premature.  But there is only good in taking 14+ for old beans.

Here, we are wet.  Sounds like we get to look at  mud all week.  Then turn cold next week.  Maybe the corn planted May 15 will still turn out the best.

The good thing about old age, you don't sweat when the crop goes in the ground.  You are just glad you are around to be part of the show.

0 Kudos
colorofmoney
Frequent Contributor

Long time stalker, first time poster

Here in SWMN I would have to say 80% to 85% is in so far, had 5 days of planting last week and most guys are done or within that day or two,  this week is looking wet probably not much going in the ground this week,  If we do get a break in the weather beans will start going in talk to a lot of guys switching planters over this weekend and hoping the weather keeps them out of the field till the end of the week,  Not to many complaining of the rains here either, we need it.

Oh and all Green here!

0 Kudos
vrbuck
Advisor

And why are you worried about me?  I would be more worried about being led by the pide piper off a cliff,  then someone like me, 

0 Kudos