cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

NIA update

I guess I was wrong on planting last week  as I would say it is more like 95% of the corn is in the ground.There has also been some soybeans planted the last couple of day's. I would say with the weather last week more corn was planted than planned.With the rain this morning and looking at the forecast this week it's should be a great start for the 2011 crop yr.Depending on today's rain I think we will putting soybeans in the ground this early this week.What ever happen to all this BIG demand and B-S marketeye was blowing about this last winter????????????Looks to me outside $$$$$$$$$$$ had the most to do with our prices.The only thing that is going to keep prices at today's level will be a weather problem.As of today NIA is off to a great start.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: NIA update

Glad to hear all is going good for Iowa.  But I don't think you can carry the rest of the country.  Here is SC Mn we are struggling to get much planted.  We get 1 day to do anything and that is marginal at best.  Some guys haven't planted a seed yet.  The local BTO's have been trying and only out of necessity.  The soil conditions just won't dry out enough to get a descent seed bed.  Every time it gets close we get another shot of rain .2-.5 inches.  After 3 try's I finally got my first 80 acres worked and ready to plant last night.  Wake up this to rain showers again.  I would guess this area is 20-30% planted at best and these acres were planted in less than good condition.  And our forecast is for showers all this week.  The one good thing is we haven't had enough rain to create ponding yet.  We just need more than 1 or 2 days of drying conditions.  My concern is it is now May 8th and we are closing in on looking for earlier varieties to reach maturity in a timely fashion.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

NI if I were you I might look at planting a little more corn. My area is around 80% planted corn and beans. South of here it is a very different story. Large parts of Ohio and Indiana are still very wet.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yesterday pm. I thought just maybe if wer'e lucky we could turn some wheels by mid week.  1.3 inches overnight and another week shot to heck! western ohio

Tags (1)
0 Kudos