cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Need some ideas!

I've been writing so many stories lately on this hot, dry weather that my brain's about fried (literally and figuratively)! Running out of good weather turns of phrase and stuff I can use in headlines. So, give me some fuel here -- What's the weather headline on your farm right now? And, keep 'em clean!

Maybe I'll borrow something from one of these weather proverbs. Pretty good stuff! I've got a few "weather proverbs" of my own, unfortunately they're not exactly suitable for publication! Hey, I'm half Kansan and half Okie...what else would you expect?!

Hey, stay cool out there, everybody!  

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Need some ideas!

Kansan and OKie?  You do have all the odds stacked against you!   WE should marvel that you have advanced as far as you have.

Senior Contributor

I know! It's a feat that science can't replicate, I don't think. Ha!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Some here say that if a spring rain knocks the blooms off a catalpa tree that we're in for a normal summer.  If it don't, it will be dry.  They didn't get knocked off this year...

One of my grandfather's favorite sayings was, "It'll rain, it always does."  Of course then he talks about cutting down trees for the cattle in the 50's.

Most everyone has heard that if it rains on the first day of the month, it'll rain 15 more.  It rained a LITTLE on June 1 here and you know the result of that.  Of course, my grandaddy would also say, "all signs fail in dry weather."

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

When we dumped a bucket of water on Marketeye's head when we were filming the daily market wrap-up video, it rained later that day and through that following weekend here. So, maybe we ought to get a bigger bucket and try that again? 

Could throw him in a volcano if we thought it would work.  In all fairness prolly ought to be pretty sure of success before putting him to that much inconvenience, though.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I have my nice shirt on, today. It will rain, people are starting to head to the lake for their July 4th camping trips. It will definitely rain, just as they put that last tent stake in the ground. Meanwhile, the markets are believing this wetter forecast out this morning.

Mike

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Not all is doom and gloom... My corn is some of the smaller but is really trucking along ... of course several more rains will be needed. Cool nights help a lot, did not get that last night.

With the hay I baled yesterday evening my hay needs for the winter are met.

Went and mowed ripe oats for a young farmer last night got home at 11:55pm last night He rented a farm late and part of the deal with the new owner was that the freshly seeded down former pasture would be farmed this year. (got to just love investers ) The young mans 9600 combine with the brand new engine would not run yesterday and needs to go back to the dealership for a major fix. Anyway He called and needed those oats etc off so the beans can be planted by tomorrow night. I/we will have some really loaded with oats oat net wraped JD568 bales for sale. Here is a picture out the front window late yesterday evening. a little fuzzy as I did not stop for a photo op.

062712952047[00].jpg

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My soon to be 98 year old uncle used to tell me "when it's dry, all signs of rain fail".

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Remember in the bible when it rained forty days and forty nights??   Kansas got a half inch........

0 Kudos