cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

New CRP signup: any takers?

A new general signup for the CRP starts today. One issue in play is that contracts for 6.5 million acres of land enrolled in the program will expire next fall. One analyst told me he thinks that the amount of land likely coming out of the CRP could pressure prices next year.

Just posted a story (full story) outlining some of the issues farmers face in making a decision this go-around. (This is not the CRP Ronald Reagan presided over.) Acres accepted will be more environmentally targeted. Rental rates aren't being raised from last year's signup. One farmer I talked with is concerned about some of the strings attached to the new program.

Any CRP experiences to relate?

Thoughts?

John

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: New CRP signup: any takers?

All I can say is locally, anything I know that is in CRP, will be re-applied to go back into CRP.  What was actually viable farmground, already has been plowed up.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

FC Stone is thinking that the Chineese will import 500 mil bu (12 to 13 MMT's) next year and most of a bil bu (25 to 28 MMT's) by 2015 or so...... looks to me we are going to need the acres?....... p-oed

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Maybe the US can pay down some debt to them. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Why? We aren't paying them any interest to speak of.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Around here, my sisters have land in CRP because one of the husbands is a big hunter.  Last time they did a sign-up, a couple of years ago, the additional CRP requirements caused some grumbling.

There is some interest in CRP where there is a specific issue, such as a HEL piece that is too small or misshapen to farm efficiently.

I haven't heard any talk about people going into or out of CRP.  I was at a FSA briefing last week where the program was mentioned but not too much was made of it.  They seemed to think they'd get some takers. 

0 Kudos