cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

New technologie center pivot

Hi all,

I am French, and I do not control your tongue, I apologize in advance. I come to your forum to present an innovation for the center pivot such as Valley, Lindsay, Pierce, etc. .. His name is 3X ramp, the embedded photovoltaic system, for example a ramp 500 m length, lets have a capacity of 100 kWp of power, or about 130,000 kWh / year, which will be sold to the grid according to the rate of redemption practiced in the United States. If you are interested in this innovation, do not hesitate to contact me by mail, I'd like to get your feedback on this innovation. Thank you in advance.
My Website: www.aquitaine-aerogenerateurs.com.

Michel Justo.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: New technologie center pivot

Interesting idea, do you maybe have the site in english so we could read it?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I looked the site over, and although I can't read a lick of French, I get the jist of it.

While I think it has potential in some areas, I can't see it ever catching on here.

The reasons being:

1) the vast majority of center pivots are not hooked to the grid, they are run off diesel or natural gas

2) the solar panels would be pretty inefficient, as they would point into the sun less than half the time.

3) Every year, it seems that we have a windstorm that tips a few pivots over.   I can't imagine how much more so that would be, with big, square panels bolted to it.  

Now, in some areas, it may be very practical, I only commented for the area around me, because that is what I know best.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi ,

Thank you for your answer, I'm all set for next week, the explanations for the ramp 3X are in English, this includes the specifications of the ramp 3X

I adapted PV panels on the center pivot for several reasons:
It is a remarkable structure that serves only four months of the year, the rest of the time it is parked along the fields of culture and no longer useful.
The metal structure has the advantage of 360 degrees and rotate it very slowly, aluminum chassis receiving about a dozen PV panels of 250 Wp each receive two cylinders that pivot the frame 45 ° on and other central water pipe is the same type system used to power trackers on the ground, but with the advantage for the ramp 3X to continue to grow under the PV panels. Thus improve performance by 25%, thanks to the spray PV panels to maintain maximum production.
The biggest problem and windage structure with panels: To prevent the switch from ramp winds of 70 km / h, software can set the angle of the frame so that they are positioned flat to avoid the wind, and then return to the starting position. In cases of storms or cyclones, according to the weather forecast of a week, the entire ramp will be moved up and downwind. In the case of states that have snowy winters, signs will be placed at the 45 ° position ideal for the snow can not stand on the panels.
The return on investment is an important issue, according to the feed-in tariff or the state you find. The approximate cost of installation of 120 kWp (500 panels of 250 Wp / 10 panels per bay 50 m) with an estimated production of 140,000 kW / h year would be approximately $ 200,000.
I hope that what I wrote is understandable, if anyone is interested to build the process to start the adventure, I am ready to help, because in France I think this project will never day.
Good day.
Michel Justo.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello,
thank you for your answer, the next week my site will be translated into English. Please find attached some details of potential ramp 3X .

I adapted PV panels on the center pivot for several reasons:
It is a remarkable structure that serves only four months of the year, the rest of the time it is parked along the fields of culture and no longer useful.
The metal structure has the advantage of 360 degrees and rotate it very slowly, aluminum chassis receiving about a dozen PV panels of 250 Wp each receive two cylinders that pivot the frame 45 ° on and other central water pipe is the same type system used to power trackers on the ground, but with the advantage for the ramp 3X to continue to grow under the PV panels. Thus improve performance by 25%, thanks to the spray PV panels to maintain maximum production.
The biggest problem and windage structure with panels: To prevent the switch from ramp winds of 70 km / h, software can set the angle of the frame so that they are positioned flat to avoid the wind, and then return to the starting position. In cases of storms or cyclones, according to the weather forecast of a week, the entire ramp will be moved up and downwind. In the case of states that have snowy winters, signs will be placed at the 45 ° position ideal for the snow can not stand on the panels.
The return on investment is an important issue, according to the feed-in tariff or the state you find. The approximate cost of installation of 120 kWp (500 panels of 250 Wp / 10 panels per bay 50 m) with an estimated production of 140,000 kW / h year would be approximately $ 200,000.
I hope that what I wrote is understandable, if anyone is interested to build the process to start the adventure, I am ready to help, because in France I think this project will never day.

Regards ,

Michel Justo.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

If the panels can swivel so they don't catch the wind, that would make them more viable for this area.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I don't get it at all.  Why not just put them on the ground where they woudn't turn the pivot into a kit?  We've had wind pick pivots up off the ground and pull the end tower toward the center then land like and accordian.

Had a micro burst come through here and pick full 8" irrigation pipe up off the ground... pull it apart and twist it one end of the picked up pipe to the south and the other end to the north... it was running east to west.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Is that pivot a Zimmatic?  My guess is that it would be.  A Reinke has a different leg system going down to the wheel, and the towers on a Valley will usually detatch, when it tips over.

I can't see it clear enough to tell for sure, but if it is, they are made in Lindsey, NE.  I drive right by the plant whenever we go visit my wife's sister.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I'm not sure found the photo on google image... Ours was picked up right in the middle and it drug the end tower in toward the center then dropped the middle in one big mess.  We have Valmont here in my town and they supply for the domestic market here in the states.

0 Kudos
Contributor

0 Kudos