Veteran Advisor

News

Just an observation -- non-government-sourced market-related news receives a poor grade during partial shutdown, shows how much we rely on USDA for basic information, flow of information, and how USDA-centered our reporting mechanisms really are.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, or is there.

Veteran Advisor

Re: News

I agree with you.

The first thing to do is to understand the report so we interpret them right.

If there are things we don't agree with then we need to provide feedback to try to get them corrected.

Honored Advisor

Good luck with that

HRW has been declining in acres for many years ......... when did usda first notice it?      After all it isn't corn or beans...

I saw a story written off of usda data a couple of days ago.......saying chicken consumption per capita, in the US has gone up far more than beef consumption from a century ago.  

Did we not eat chickens or eggs pre world war 2?  Or did those complicated usda surveys get lost in the mail.... I checked my 1907 usda published report and I think chickens existed, made up a big part of the family diet and probably the main course in a sunday meal, but they were raised on location and traded privately across the country..... possibly black market or private treaty chickens,,,,or even gift chickens were not a matter of concern for usda at the time. (or maybe we didn't have the staff at usda to count chickens......and were willing to admit it.

Either way, I doubt the accuracy of the assumptions in the story.  But it is a great example of how government data is manipulated and regurgitated back to us to validate stuff.

The only thing sure is usda will never admit that its data on chickens from 1907 is not accurate, or even admitt we should read the disclaimers in the annual or consider that goals and expectaions of their work have been exponentially over blown the last 50 years.  

I am glad they are back, but I will continue to try to understand the limitations and processing  of their work and resist considering their "stuff" as absolute fact.

Anybody notice the news on Japans data scandal??  Report is 40% of its economic data presented cannot be supported.  

Should we expect federal data to be 60% accurate?  Or would we rather have "on time and exciting" than accurate data....?  

How accurate can US reports on China agriculture be?  or even China's news releases?

Veteran Advisor

Are we counting our chickens before they are hatched??  Or maybe not counting them at all?? That sounds like usad counting our bushels before the crop is planted.  Can't go wrong doing that.

Honored Advisor

I was looking at the kansas bean yield contest for 2018 and gray county seemed to be the only entry from our area .......

How did the beans turn out over around the meade/minneola area ???

Veteran Advisor

I heard several reports of 80 bu.beans in Meade county.  Some more, some less.  Mine had dicamba dinging and yielded in low 60s