cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Nicole Busts 3 Drought Myths

As you drive through the country trying to put a yield number to what you see, here some old axioms that aren`t true.  My favorite is when you mention to someone that`s short the market about how dry it is, they invariably will say "Yeah but the roots are going down!!!"  As Nicole says "Plants don`t have a brain"  Smiley Very Happy   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnGGBmptuJQ

0 Kudos
15 Replies
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Re: Nicole Busts 3 Drought Myths

There will be more root mass.

And particularly in the lower organic soils in the ECB, yield is often capped from the start if there's wet planting or if the soil gets pounded by heavy rains before there's a canopy.

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

To say plants don't have a brain is ridiculous. They are pretty smart in terms of maximizing what they need, and maximize their reproductive ability. If they need water, they grow roots to get it! Are we controlling corn, or is corn controlling us? :-)

btw, a dry June is almost always good for corn yields, with maybe 1 exception every decade or so on average. Lioke 2012, but this ain't 2012, not even close. 

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Your are right not even close to 2012,

Much much drier earlier.

Two chances in last 9 hrs, sidewalk got wet once.

0 Kudos
WCMO
Senior Advisor

A spit of rain around 4:30 this morning, thunder woke me up, couldn't tell it rained when the sun came up, other than the moisture in the grass and dots in the dirt.  Of course, the market will be continue to make us pay for the forecasts, while being slow to provide the refunds for "rainfall" that doesn't materialize or really amount to anything.  Looking forward to some cooler temps next week. Still some potential rain in the forecast, but 95-100+ temps take quite a toll.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

I’m pretty certain that Bob Nielsen from Purdue, who is undoubtedly the best extension corn agronomist around, would add a lot of context in there.

But he has a platform and doesn’t need to work for YouTube hits.

And nobody said it doesn’t need to rain.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

I see where Bob is in phased retirement. Anybody met the new guy?

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

She’s a myth not busted. 

Corn does what it needs to get to water and up is a no-brainer.  She sounds as sharp as a Kansas stecklein..   

when we irrigate they still go down. 

........”did I hear her say it responds to its hormones”?  Isn’t that what organisms with brains do?

no Nobel for her — !!!!

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

Here are some facts from my rain gauge in 2012 and 2021 from April 1 to June 17

2012  8.69"

2021 4.78"

Yes, much dryer start than 2012.  July and Aug 2012 were dry.  

My rain gauge caught .27" this morning.  By noon corn was rolling tighter than the day before.  100* this afternoon. 

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

I'm sorry wind, my reference to rainfall was from our perspective east of the Missy River. This year the epicenter is currently out west, will it stay out west long enough to hurt things. Time grows short but not much is lost yet.

0 Kudos