cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

No corn planted in April here

Here in NW Ohio we are staring at 3+ inches of rain is the last couple of days.  It is highly unlikely that there will be any corn planted in April in this area.  They are also calling for more rain next week. However, I'm sure this will be meaningless to traders who are only looking at the large carryover supply that is on paper. They will have to see proof that the corn planting is being hindered. But, there is still plenty of time to get the crop in in May......provided we get that window of opportunity.    I'm just wondering how's the weather in other parts of the corn belt?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Esteemed Advisor

Re: No corn planted in April here

C-In is a the same "boat" at this point :-)

Only 2 days of tile work since last October, extremely unusual, no field work for anyone since then.

A wise old farmer said at the FSA office last week, "when it rains for this long....when it

changes...it will be dry for a long time".....  Heavy rains started in August for Indiana, so it

has been raining for 9 months now....we most likely will have 6 dry weeks in a row (normal for Indiana),

so when it starts will be quite determinative of crop size for our unimportant part of the world. Same

for roaring I suspect.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

If only we could wring the moisture from the sky before it gets to you guys. We finished corn last night. Working on beans now, Milo will be next. Seems we leave less land fallow for wheat planting each year. We’ve got a good moisture profile now but the last few rain chances have fizzled out. Hoping that changes soon and we get a good soaker. Or at least an inch. We’re spending money we don’t have to burn gas to pump water (which is being depleted) to grow more wheat to sell at a price which loses money. Makes a lot of sense right?
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Extreme SWMN Amount of precip varies here but we are quite wet, still some ponding. We had 15 hundreds on Thurs. and it made water stand in more places, water table pretty high.  Lots of pattern tile around but I would say the larges share of that does not have enough out let for these kind of conditions. Rain forecast for tomorrow. Old timers say rain on Easter Sunday is not good.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

If there was no rain for this coming week, half the corn in NCIA would be planted by May 1, but it`s a few sprinkles and I`m wondering if this "Easter bunny" should bother hiding eggs in the yard or have a indoor hunt.  Seems like north of highway 18 where it was very wet last fall, we`ve missed rains (knock on wood) and it`s been straightening out, but the forecast will send us back to square one, I`m sure.  Down by Webster City they were hitting it, down I-380 I was surprised not more planters in every field down to Ioway City.  But locally fertilizer spreading/spraying, gas puttin` on, conditions described as "kind of tacky".  A lot of strip til so I reckon some fields if you don`t see the 2 hours that the planer is in the field, the next thing you know you`ll be rowing the corn in the strips Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Contributor

Here in SW Ohio the weather girl just this morning said we are 8" above normal on rainfall since Jan 1. We have had 3.2" in the last two weeks. Rain chances Tues and Wed here. On the plus side, above normal temps for next 10 days. May 2nd would be ideal day to begin planting anyway. 

It's been too wet here for just over 2 years here in crawdad country. Looking forward to a change whenever it happens. In 1988, during the middle of the driest spring we have had in my lifetime, an 80 year old farmer told me" the old timers say that you worry that drought will break you, but around here it is the wet weather that hurts you the most"

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Nothing planted here at least not local. Nobody even doing field work yet. In my opinion a lot of corn acres going to be switched at these prices and delayed season to soybeans. Pretty much the normal thing now last 3 seasons.
0 Kudos