cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

No corn planted the first week of May

There will be no corn planted the first week of May in my neck of the woods.   We are saturated and the expected forecast is for rain almost every day next week.   This is just backyarditis.......nothing more, nothing less. It might mean something to the markets if the calendar flips to June with no window to plant in between. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: No corn planted the first week of May

In the last couple days, I`ve been 120 mi south to Ames/Boone area and I would peg them at 80% done, 120mi north to Minneapolis area virtually nothing row cropwise done <10%, gotta be south of Owatonna to see much stirring.  Locally about 30% done.  Funny, some that in the past have pushed the envelope, planting April 10th when they could, this spring have the ground worked up but no planter tracks, too cold, too wet underneath, too expensive inputs and low prices to afford a mistake.

I think there`s a magic percent and date of "50% done corn by May 10th" before planting delays are considered...and I don`t know if the market ever seriously worries about planting delays.   Seems that enough of us get planted and bail the market out that it`s become an expectation like the sun rising in the east. 

Hope it dries up for you Roarin, nothing more frustrating than waiting on the chance at bat. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

And.......when we get that chance at bat, we can't afford to strike out when we are planting.  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Contributor

Not looking very good this morning. 15 miles southeast of Iowa City.  2.5 inches in the last 3 days.  More on the way. 10 day forecast showing lot of rain chances. Bad deal when jet stream sits on top of you and doesn't move. Big boys around here probably got 40% of their corn in.  One good thing was the tiles weren't running before  My no till ground still had wet spots before the rains came. . Need some warm sunny weather. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

So far 2 1/4 inches of rain in Southwest Michigan. Had 3 inches of snow Yesterday. Rain is expected almost every day for the next two weeks and saturated ground.
0 Kudos