cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

No planting here......

....in my backyard this week.  If we get much rain here in NW Ohio out of this system coming out of Kansas and Iowa in the next day or so, there won't be any planters moving next week either.

The traders seem very complacent and seem to be ignoring what might be lying ahead.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: No planting here......

Here in southern Wi. guys were going on the lighter ground and south facing slopes. Most of the flat low ground still has that almost to wet to walk on, glossy shine to it. Its almost to wet for the weeds to grow. I think the trade is taking a little notice now. They still think we will get it done because in recent memory we have. Here it's not late yet. However we should be rolling big time.With the weather coming we will be getting into the officially late time frame. I'm not sure what their time line is for us to be late enough to make a difference but with the carry over it might be July 4th.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Planter still in the shed gentleman over here 0 acres planted. More rain and 40’s makes attempting anything a easy decision. Everyone local saying why? It’s not worth anything what are we really risking or losing? Can’t say I don’t agree 100%. We’re So used to losing money farming it has become a mute point. Might throw some seeds in end of month just to try to clip a claim from insurance for the year. But, as far as 700$ plus an acre for corn I think we’re all in agreement never again until it’s minimum 4$
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I managed to get 64 acres of a 65 acre field planted yesterday here in SE SD. But, the soil temp is 46 degrees, and I was nearly the only guy out.  Did see one other fellow fertilizing pasture, and another doing a burn down spray. The piece I got planted is a 3-6% slope piece that is tiled, so it's only because it happened to be the year for corn on that plot that I could even do it. Thought I should take advantage of a little window we had, even if the ground is cold. Now we are getting another inch today, so nothing will happen anywhere until next week. The crop insurance companies are having PP workshops all the time, so at least they realize it's not looking good right now...

I agree with the sentiment that it's not worth any extra effort with the current lack of incentives, but I had already hedged a little new crop. This would at least let me make that delivery! 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Seems like PP

Might make the most Net for quite a few this year.

Heck $250 to $350 per on PP just collect it and wax the equipment for Next year.

A lot of ground won't Maybe be ready till June IF then.

0 Kudos