Honored Advisor

No snow in Mankato

Me and #1 Daughter are up in Mankato and wow, you get north of Minnesota Lake on 22 and theres no snow up here. The fields look soggy but if they dodge a few raindrops, these clowns'll be plantin at the end of next week! Just   fyi

Advisor

Re: No snow in Mankato

ba, we went to mankato yesterday afternoon and snow was less north of buffalo center and non by north of rake. to the west it gets alot less by bancroft and was told none at west bend. I think we got the shaft of the snow. should mostly leave today. What do you think of the corn that is planted? I planted 80 acres last saturday and had a hard time not planting after that. maybe good, time will tell.

Honored Advisor

Hey Ida, I think the already planted corn will be fine, it`s no worse than some of the early birds planting the 10th of April in many yrs.  Those that planted to beat the band right up `til the snow might have some germ problems though.  I know when we used to seed oats, we liked to see a snow on top.  A agronomist was saying the first 6 hrs the seed takes in the water. But on the otherhand at the precision planting demo and the Farm Progress Show they say `quit planting 24hrs before a change to cold and wet`.  

Everybody and his dog was in Mankato yesterday, the Pioneer man was there and I was in my Wyffels jacket, but he didn`t see me Smiley Happy   You know the streets in Mankato were layed out by Norwegians on crack, you gotta go around and around to get anywhere, traffic is always bollixed up.  I could put in a few well placed driveways and that town could handle twice the cars.

Advisor

Mankato's weather forecast went from a couple inches of snow Tuesday evening to 6+ inches Wednesday morning.  By Thursday moning there was still nothing on the ground but 45 miles east they had 16".  As one of the "clowns" that hopes to plant later this week I'm glad to have gotten lucky.

Mankato is a fast growing river town that has always been a regional shopping center  It's easier to get around when you know the shortcuts thru the ravines and parking lots!!  What can you say about a town that will cut firefighters but not the flower budget?!!?

Senior Contributor

We were up there yesterday also. Headed up late morning only to find a detour that took us over to Mn Lake and then up 22 to Mankato. Was very surprised at the "no snow on the ground" north of Buffalo Center. When we left, therm in the car read 39 out of our driveway. Hit Mankato a little over an hour later it was 46. Bummed around and ended up eating at Red lobster. Don't have to go back. Food was tasty and great service but pretty high price for lobster tail. Looked more like a chicken wing. On the way home headed back to Mn Lake on 22 then south on the blacktop that ends up taking you to Bricelyn. No snow and 47 in Mn Lake, little snow and 43 in Bricelyn, went south and then west towards Rake, no snow and 45. Straight south back to Antartica, still snow covered and 40. It was a real fun day considering how depressing snow in May can be. Makes me hate winter all the more....MikeM

Senior Advisor

Were gonna have some august corn to harvest, John. We may double crop some beans behind that!

Honored Advisor

Hey Mike, just wanted to say i enjoy your sports radio show on KIOW always entertaining after the Commstock Report in the fall.

Senior Contributor

Thanks for the accolades. One of my pastimes. Still need the day job If this weather doesn't straighten up soon give me a holler. You and Ida can come over and have coffee in my office. Jr knows the way and krafty sounds like he needs something to do. You would be visiting the center of the universe here....MikeM
Honored Advisor

Here`s what you do MikeM

Start a ag market radio show, I`ll bet Tony Coldout would give you 7 minutes at around 3 pm when Kit is going on and on about a missing dog in between Billy Ray Cyrus songs. 7 minutes is a good start, as you know a minute is an eternity on the radio.  I`ll bet Ernieland, Red Power, Garst, Successful Farming would sponsor you.  You could interview farmers at Mitchells, talk about agronomy, the market close, maybe interview MT or NIA Farmer ..000 000!! I know have a roundtable with Faust MT and the Wrestler!   I don`t give compliments often Mike but you are really good on the radio and a little farm chat radio show that you could even phone in from the tractor would go over well in the area.

Senior Contributor

Re: Here`s what you do MikeM

Not a bad idea but days like this one would get tired of hearing me "bi&ch" about the weather. Not that these upcoming days aren't going to be nice. I hate wet springs. I do have a chance to mount my soapbox from time to time and go on and on about meaningless dribble. glad you  listen....MikeM